• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV Sway Bar

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I suspect my sway bar is slightly bent; cannot get it on. can get on three points but the third has about 3 inches to go and because the remaining length is short, cannot be bent. Does anyone have a spare or ideas on how to measure? (I have old damage on that side so I thing a curb was clouted)
Thanks!

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I've got a bent one hanging in the garage. When I look at it, one side 'droops' a bit more than the other. It's actually bent across the front straight part, from the PO using it as a tow point. Have a broken slot in the a-arm to go with it.

Some checks: When you lay it on the ground, it should be flat -- probably within 1/4" or so. If you put a straightedge across the 'leading edge', that edge should be pretty straight. Measuring from that straightedge (extended imaginary line) to the ends of the bar should be the same on each end. I'm not sure that the one I have in the garage is the best candidate for telling you what that measurement should be.

My un-researched guess is that they could be straightened/bent back to norm, as the spring action comes from the rotational torquing of the bar. I'll be trying to straighten mine in a 20T manual shop press. Only trying this because it doesn't look like I need to re-radius the curved bits; only to straighten the straight bit. Probably should be bent cold, so as not to disturb symmetry of flex. Could be either pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised when I get to it in the spring.

If you have good access to the undercarriage, some patience, and a few tools you could determine the necessary angle from the geometry of the front suspension itself. Straightedge, clamps, (digital) protractor, perhaps some string or straight bits of wood. Map the mounting holes, and measure the angles from a straight-across reference. Or, maybe, measure the angle of the side of your bar that does fit.

Jaars

Gold Level Sponsor
I have several hanging in my barn. Send me an email if interested. Robert 64venezia (at) gmail(dot) com

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Ken. I did find one from another member so will give that a go. I laid it out on the floor against a known straight line. It is flat but the right side is slightly longer than the left which mirrors the issues I am having. I appreciate your help and advice!

I've got a bent one hanging in the garage. When I look at it, one side 'droops' a bit more than the other. It's actually bent across the front straight part, from the PO using it as a tow point. Have a broken slot in the a-arm to go with it.

Some checks: When you lay it on the ground, it should be flat -- probably within 1/4" or so. If you put a straightedge across the 'leading edge', that edge should be pretty straight. Measuring from that straightedge (extended imaginary line) to the ends of the bar should be the same on each end. I'm not sure that the one I have in the garage is the best candidate for telling you what that measurement should be.

My un-researched guess is that they could be straightened/bent back to norm, as the spring action comes from the rotational torquing of the bar. I'll be trying to straighten mine in a 20T manual shop press. Only trying this because it doesn't look like I need to re-radius the curved bits; only to straighten the straight bit. Probably should be bent cold, so as not to disturb symmetry of flex. Could be either pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised when I get to it in the spring.

If you have good access to the undercarriage, some patience, and a few tools you could determine the necessary angle from the geometry of the front suspension itself. Straightedge, clamps, (digital) protractor, perhaps some string or straight bits of wood. Map the mounting holes, and measure the angles from a straight-across reference. Or, maybe, measure the angle of the side of your bar that does fit.
try that

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have several hanging in my barn. Send me an email if interested. Robert 64venezia (at) gmail(dot) com

I am getting a replacement from another member so thank you for the offer ! You can be of great help if you would box up a Venezia and send it over though!!!

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor

Ken, update. Mike O had a bar that I bought. Mine was bent as I thought. I mentioned that I suspect the PO had clouted a curb because one arm arm tab was broken off and re-welded. Laid Mike's across and the side to side run is shorter due to one side being pushed in. Might explain why the car always handled like a pig no matter what I did. Cannot figure how they got it back on but the uneven pressure must have been enormous.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Do you have a 3/4 or 7/8 inch diameter? One which would fit a S1 Alpine? That might fit my 1960 Hillman Minx.

Hotrodhillman,

IIRC, the OE bar for a sI is 5/8 inch. Any other size would be an aftermarket piece.

You might try contacting Addco about the two 7/8 inch front bars they list for Sunbeams, #825 and #878. The listing says "all years" but the angle of the bar legs is different for a sI to a sV Alpine. Might be a bit of catalog misinformation instead of listing early or late.

http://www.addco.net/aftermarket/catalog/sunbeam/

HTH,
Don

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Early and late bars are not interchangeable. I imagine the aftermarket ones are late series style.

Hotrodhillman

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

You have a cool looking car. I love those early Alpine fins. I think I will leave the 5/8” bar alone for now. It appears undamaged and the bushings are tight. A few years ago I put front and rear anti-sway bars on a Nash Metropolitan. This improved the handling from dangerous to inadequate. So, I bought another bar and put it on the Morris Minor which significantly improved the handling. Over the weekend I took that rear anti-sway bar off the Morris Minor and put it on my 1960 Hillman Minx. It made the ride stiff and harsh, which I don’t mind. I’ve only driven it a little bit at legal speed, but it appears to handle gentle curves on rough roads significantly better. I am hoping it will help at highway speeds. The car feels more stable. I wonder if just the presence of these anti-roll bars on the solid rear axle helps prevent the axle from moving side to side.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Early and late bars are not interchangeable. I imagine the aftermarket ones are late series style.

Mike,

I agree that early and late bars do not interchange. The catalog listing is: Alpine - all years - 7/8 ........ Tiger - all years - 7/8, each with a different part number. The question is why two different parts if they are both the later style and the same size?

Hotrodhillman,

If an anti-sway bar is installed properly, it should not noticeably change the ride quality. Just the amount of body roll on any given curve. You might want to check for something binding in the range of axle movement.

Have fun,
Don

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Hotrodhillman - thanks, I do like the fins!

Don - I know the S3 inside and out, but not too much about the other Series or Tigers. Before I knew there was a difference, I tried mounting a SV bar on my S3. That's when I found out that wasn't going to work.