• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV size battery cable/engine ground

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
I am looking for the correct gauge (35mm2 ?) of the cable from the battery to the starter solenoid as well as the grounding strip (??mm2) from the frame to the engine.
A picture of the correct frame// engine strip position and location would be helpful also. I can not find documentation on that.
The starter does not crank any more after getting weaker and weaker while turning. I think it is time for a clean replacement of both after 50 years of service.
Thanks a lot.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Even after 50 years I think the original copper cable will still be as good a conductor as ever. I suggest just cleaning the ends .

The ground strap is a flexible, flat, woven, strap located at the transmission rear mounting bracket. It should be found on the passenger side (US passenger side) toward the front of the bracket, I think. One end is bolted using one of the bolts that holds the bracket to the frame. The other end of the strap is bolted to the transmission using one of the bolts that holds the bracket to the transmission housing.

If you look at page 6 of this section of the manual:
http://www.rootes1725cc.info/wsm145/WSM_E/E.htm

you will see where the manual SHOULD show the strap, but it doesn't. Item 13 shows the two main parts of the mounting bracket plus the two rubber blocks that shock-mount the tranny - and would then also electrically isolate the tranny and block. The ground strap goes from one of the three bolts thru the vertical part to one of the (6?) bolts that hold the larger part to the frame.

If you do not have a strap here then I wonder what DOES ground your block. We have seen stories here where the only gound "strap" was the clutch hydraulic line or sometimes the choke cable!

Tom