• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV Clutch parts

gary1725

Donation Time
Hi Folks,
I am trying to replace the clutch in my SV Alpine, I have sourced the release bearing and the disk it's self but am struggling with the cover or pressure plate. Is there one out there? what is everyone else doing.. and yes mine has been damaged by the rivets and by the release bearing disintegrating all over the place!

I am trying to get back on the road before next Wednesday so the closer the better! I am in south central PA but work outside Baltimore.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Gary (717 676 0898)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Did you try the usual suspects? (Sunbeam Specialties, Classic Sunbeam, etc.)

gary1725

Donation Time
Yes, I have not called anyone in the UK yet. I had hoped to get the parts fairly quickly, thinking clutch parts were ware items and hence obtainable! I have a trip planned the weekend after Labor day with the car and am way for 5 days accross labor day it's self so this weekend comming was really it.. I was told a couple of different things but mainly that QH had closed and no one could find an alternate source for that part.

Jim E

Donation Time
Seems like there is a MG pressure plate that is the same as the late Alpine carries, midget maybe, but that is not going to help if no one makes them anymore and the chance of finding one local is not good. You might get a used PP rebuilt local,l provided you can locate a decent one to have done, but the time line could be an issue.

The thing to do is change from the 7 1/4 inch SV flywheel to a SII-4 flywheel and a Volvo disc and pressure plate, the early 240s carry the right spline count. But you will also need the arm and mounting block for the earlier release bearing. Also the volvo pressure plate will require a newer style throw out bearing, not the carbon unit. You could go with a volvo disc and a MGB pressure plate that carries the carbon throw out, but I have never found one local. You might could pull this off in the time frame provided you have the early bits or someone close to you does.

Note when making this change over you need to take a close look at the throw out and release arm set up to make sure you have the combination of arm and pivot block right so it has the travel it needs. You have to use the earlier arm with the larger diamter throw out I just do not recall if it needs the early or late pivot block. I do know the first time I did it I got it wrong and got to take it out and do it over. I also have never used the non carbon throw out so cannot comment on how that might effect things.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
In a pinch you can change the flywheel to an I,II, III or early VI and use a the 8 inch clutch and you could use a 64 or earlier MGB setup and by all means use a roller release bearing ( early 60s MG Miget):D

gary1725

Donation Time
Thanks Jim. Someone else had suggested the same route, now if only i hadn't let all the junk I had in the UK go! amongst it was an early flywheel, the corrcet arm etc etc etc.. oh well!
I think I have a used pressure plate sourced and while not ideal I am thinking that in the iterests of time that is the route I will likely take.
Thanks for the reply.. if these plates are truly unavailable and remain so then a lot of all synchro people are going to be looking for older parts!

Gary

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Thanks Jim. Someone else had suggested the same route, now if only i hadn't let all the junk I had in the UK go! amongst it was an early flywheel, the corrcet arm etc etc etc.. oh well!
I think I have a used pressure plate sourced and while not ideal I am thinking that in the iterests of time that is the route I will likely take.
Thanks for the reply.. if these plates are truly unavailable and remain so then a lot of all synchro people are going to be looking for older parts!

Gary

Gary, I see the 7 1/2 covers and plates on EBAY all the time.

Just dont get hung up on it saying its for a sunbeam.

Hillmans, singers used the same gear.