• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Suspensions question

smashbeat

Silver Level Sponsor
I noticed that my alpine is taller on the right side, about an inch. New shocks or there is something else to check and replace?
Thanks

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Other than being "locked up", shocks don't normally affect static ride height; springs or spring mounts are the more likely culprit.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Is it always the same on that side? My series 2 would be different every time I bounced it from side to side, it was the A arm bushing locking up. You could also look and see if the rubber insulator for the coil spring is still there, if it's old and fell out of the left side maybe the left side is lower.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Can also indicate that the springs on the L/H side are a little more tired that the R/H side. Over the last 50 some years the car has existed, there's always been someone driving from the left side and probably the right side was sometimes loaded, sometimes not. Both mind were that way at one point before new springs and I've see others with a slight "list" towards the driver's side.

smashbeat

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I will order some parts and overhaul the suspensions.
Is a spring compression tool needed on alpines?

mikephillips

Donation Time
The short answer is yes. What I've done in the past assembling front ends is to use a fairly large threaded rod with a piece of wood and a couple large washers and nuts on the bottom A arm through the shock hole, then through the upper shock mount hole with a piece of wood and washers/nut. Run it through the spring and tighten the upper nut with a wrench, make sure to stay to the side as it compresses, just in case. Have the spindle assembly on the lower ball joint and thread in the upper when it is close enough to allow. Will probably need to rap them home with a hammer to get them to seat enough to not rotate as you tighten the ball joint nuts. They don't have to be completely tight, but enough that the pulling force of the spring doesn't pop the joints loose in the spindle and make finishing difficult. Then unscrew the threaded rod and remove.

But be aware, only try this if you're sure you know what you're doing and never have body parts in the way of either end of the rod to avoid injury if it breaks for some reason.