• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Suspension puzzle

g.boat

Donation Time
I have a rattle on the front suspension when I go over pot holes. It sounds like a heavy metal object (as opposed to sheet metal) and dissapears under braking. I'm sure the answers easy but I can't think what it is. I have pulled pushed and struck with a copper hammer all over the suspension with the wheels in the air and can't find anything obvious.

Any ideas?

Andy

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I have a rattle on the front suspension when I go over pot holes. It sounds like a heavy metal object (as opposed to sheet metal) and dissapears under braking. I'm sure the answers easy but I can't think what it is. I have pulled pushed and struck with a copper hammer all over the suspension with the wheels in the air and can't find anything obvious.

Any ideas?

Andy

Have you checked your wheel bearings?

mikephillips

Donation Time
If they're fitted, check the disc brake dust shields to be sure they're tight. I had one loosen up that made the same kind of sound.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Also make sure the sway bar is still in all four brackets, and that some idiot DPO hasn't used it to tow the car with. (Anybody want a bent swaybar?)

Ken

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Check the sway bar for looseness with the car on the ground. Lifting the front end tends to take up any slack in the bar & bushings.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Check that the shock absorbers are not worn out (bounce the car and note the rebound), then ensure that their fixings and bushes are OK.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
All good ideas but he says disappears when brakes applied.To me that is or sounds like bearings and race starting to go.A bump disrupts the balance an it sounds like a low growl.When brakes applied it is applying tension on the hub.Of course it could be a loose caliper but most likely not

g.boat

Donation Time
Gents,

Thanks for your replies. I'll try to answer your suggestions. My cars a late Harrington Le Mans; so I assume a Series 2 ? I have replaced the role bar bushes and they are tight and the bar straight (they were a slack a torn welly). The wheel bearings have been changed as they growled so I'm sure it's not that. Fairly certain its not the dust shield. Its on wires and I know the splines are shot but the wheels are on tight. I think the clue lies in the rattle stopping when I brake going over pot holes in the road but I can't figure it out. I guess a strip down and see what's worn is the answer but if I could work out the problem beforehand I could get the parts and solve it immediately as its a daily driver.

Andy

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
I would still check out the shock absorbers as braking puts them under compression and this may temporarily eliminate the rattle.

g.boat

Donation Time
The answer......

Gents,

The rattle is the result of missing anti rattle springs on both calipers. I'm told the Girling parts number for theses is SP2749 and that they were also used on Daimler Darts and Mk3 Ford Zodiacs. The UK suppliers don't hold them any longer, any suggestion where these might be sourced? I'll try the Dart and Zodiac OC's.

The question now is. Why did it start all of a sudden? They must have been missing rather than fallen off !

Andy