• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Surprise Transmission Woes

AlpineII

Donation Time
Spring came unusually early to this part of the Great White North this year which means getting out in the Beam. With a forecast of 28c for today 20c higher than normal the chance for a good drive wa sin the air. Filled the tank and I was off!:)

Going through some local hills I stopped at a lookout to enjoy the view. When getting back on the road for some reason second gear seemed to be a wall, I don't usually miss shifts. Since the car was gaining momentum (going down hill) I just went for third. Seemed to slide into third but it didn't feel right. When I went to go into fourth the stick shift was just falling all over the place. Man!!!:confused:

Pulled the car over and the stick was fallen over to the right. Pulled up the carpet and the gear shift surround and you could see the top cover for the gear shift was loose, just falling from side to side. I took the cover plate off with my Swiss Army kife, no tools in the car, and sure enough you can see the top gear cover plate is broken off. :eek:

Metal fatigue? Not sure but bottom line is it's broke right in two. Do I have to take the transmission completely out to change that top plate or can I simply drop the tail end of the tranny?

Does this part break often or is this an unusual part to fail?

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Did the aluminum shifter tower break in half? I have never seen them break in the car, but I have seen them break in shipping the transmission through UPS (Never, never ship a trans with the aluminum shift tower bolted on).
You need to pull the trans to replace it. I have tried to pull them while its in the car, you just can't do it.
Jan

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I think you are talking about the plate that holds the ball of the shifter down right?

Should be repairable in the car as you have to remove this to drop the tranny.

Good luck and pix ALWAYS help.

AlpineII

Donation Time
It is the whole shift "tower" that broke, just ahead of where it bolts to the top of the transmission.

Eric,
I wish it was that little plate that holds the ball in place. I'll take some pix when we pull it out but don't think I can show the break through that cover.

I am pretty certain Jan is right and I will have to pull the transmission.

Does anyone know if there are model specific versions or will just about any Alpine top plate bolt on. Suspect there may have been different ones for the all synchro transmission. I better check.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a Series V so don't know if the parts are the same but think I have a spare you can have it you can't find one (if it fits). No one should be Alpine less in April.

agmason54

Donation Time
Eddie,
The non-syncro trannies have different shifter housings than the all-syncro trannies due to the fact that reverse is in the opposite location.SI has a different style but would probably work on any non-syncro tannie.
I have seen a few that were broken.My SII has two cover plates on the tunnel.I would take them off first and give it a try.If that fails then I would pull the driveshaft& drop the rear cross member and lower the trannie down.If you still can't get at the top cover I would then pull the transmission.
I use a 4 inch cheater pipe behind the Y pipe on the exhaust so the engine can be dropped down with out removing the manifolds.If the cheater won't come off saw it in two and replace it.
Good luck
Agm

AlpineII

Donation Time
I listened to what Jan said, read up in a few of the shop manuals I have and have accepted the fact the tranny must be dropped and to do it right, removed. Drop drive shaft, drain rad, disconnect exhaust, loosen motor mounts, off goes the transmission ount, drop rear of engine, loosen tranny from bell housing, pull it off. Man it sounds so easy.

I have a complete extra drivetrain for a Series II so will pull the cover plate off that. It's part of that pile of parts I am trying to thin down. Won't be able to get to it for a couple of weeks due to commitments, some of which is related to my V6 project, but will get it all lined up.

This hobby teaches one a lot of patience!! ;)

AlpineII

Donation Time
It's all back together and running good. So nice to get the Series II back and on the road again especially with nice weather coming along!

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
I had the same problem!

:rolleyes:
Series IV and as I was driving home the shifter just came out in my hand, Ahhhh. I call this incident my Keystone Cop episode. The boss that holds the ball was all wallowed out got a new cover for the non-syncro tyranny and the genius that restored the car fabricated a plate to go over the hump, inspection plate they called it. Was able to drop the tyranny remove and replace the cover new boss and back on the road.
Great to hear your fixed and running also!

Donna
:D

AlpineII

Donation Time
Have yet to witness a keystone event but I know they happen.

My driving buddy (a 14 year old beagle) and I put on three hours last night and are headed out for an evening cruise as soon as I get off. Not quite top down weather in the mornings yet (31f this morning) but it'll be here soon! ;)

Just have to get the OD functioning properly for more long distance hauling!