• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Supplier Questions

Preferred Supplier?

• Total voters

Steeman01

Donation Time
Hey everyone! New Sunbeam owner here (I have had a Rootes car before, a '64 Hillman Super Minx), but I have never had a Sunbeam Alpine. I just picked up a 1966 Sunbeam Alpine yesterday. It is nearly all original and has been sitting covered and under a structure since 1978, and had a repaint in 1979. Great car, but all the rubber components are shot (dried, cracked, etc.), so I am in the process of seeking those (among some mechanical parts).

I have my cart all full of all the parts I need with VB and I see some concerning posts about there quality and issues with incorrect parts shipping. I am in California and I now see there is Sunbeam Specialties. SS has a lot of the parts I need, however, they seem to cost more, perhaps they supply better products? Is there a supplier that is better perceived by the Alpine masses here? Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. - A few Pics of the new ride, hope to have her on the road within 2 months!

Attachments

• Left Front.jpg
    Left Front.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Right Front.jpg
    Right Front.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 53

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Yes, SS is the place to be. VB has more generic parts, that mostly are not desirable. Rick at SS carries parts that will fit. Especially the rubber parts. VB does carry a few things that SS doesn't, but overall SS for sure.
Where in California, there's a lot of us here. I'm in Newbury Park, 1000 Oaks area.
Nice looking car.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Not that far away. You'll enjoy this Forum, lots of good folks with a lot of good information. Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your car.
Jim

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Classic Sunbeam and Sunbeam Specialtist are almost one and the same. Only difference I have in dealing with either is one is on the West Coast and the other is on the East Coast.

Selective at VB is a must.

There are many other suppliers too! Lots of them overseas/ Only draw back there is additional cost in shipping and occasional VAT which is heavy taxation.

Don't know who started the Questionnaire, but I did not participate because the questions could/should be more selective IMHO

An example is SS or CS it should be both allowed, again IMO

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
i have bought a smattering from VB (a drivers side window), a few items from Classic Sunbeam (some odds and ends, fasteners and the like), but most items from Sunbeam Specialties (a full interior and all the rubber weatherstripping). Rick has been great to work with.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Reach out to SS direct via phone, they are in Cali, where you live and it will save additional monies on shipping. Rick is a Great Fellow.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Rick is my go-to for anything Sunbeam. I have yet to have an issue with anything I've ordered and he is really damn knowledgeable and nice.

VB... well... When I got my 1725 rebuilt, my guy ordered THREE sets of engine parts. They came bent, then rusty, then pitted AND BENT. I've ordered a few other engine bits and have yet to get anything that didn't come with some sort of issue. I've gotten some non-mechanical bits and they were okay. Just my two bits on it.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
VB is good for windshields and a few other parts. The difference is the knowledge that both Rick (SS) and Curt
(CS) have that makes the difference. VB just has order takers that really don't know about your car.

My 2 cents!

Steve

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Agreed on SS and CS being the better places to go for most stuff. I have gotten some stuff that was OK from VB, but a fair share of stuff that was just plain wrong or of poor quality compared to CS and SS. If there is something positive I can say about VB is that they seem to be real generous with permitting returns and giving credit. I have had items that I needed to return and they credited me and told me to keep them because shipping back to them wouldn't be cost effective. But for Sunbeam knowledge, no comparison with Curt and Rick being better.

Rick

Steeman01

Donation Time
Thank you again everyone, especially for directing me to Rick at SS. I just got off the phone with the guy and he was beyond helpful (and knowledgeable). He is even taking the work load for me. I discussed all the elements I thought I needed, he said he would compile a list and send it to me via email and I can strike anything I don't need. Very happy!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
As far as I know, if you need to replace the engine mounts, Rootes Parts Service (http://www.rootesparts.com/) in the Netherlands is the only supplier currently with the correct rubber hardness. The rubber on the Classic Sunbeam and Sunbeam Specialties mounts is too hard. Will vibrate the heck out of the car.

Mike