• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Tiger Whats It Worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franzwa

Donation Time
Needs total resto
Complete
Has hardtop
Has matching tiger numbers (although it says alpine on side)
Engine is locked up
Owner wants me to make offer
Capable of doing all repairs myself

alpine_64

Donation Time
appears to be a late MKi cross over body car by square edge doors and early MKI seats (just before MKIA series) What are the rear spring hangers like, exhaust pass throughs, floors?

By the sill that you have shown i assuem the car has some substantial rust.

Without more pics its hard to tell.. and to be honest the market is a little slow.. so depends how fast you want to move it.. or how bad somone wants a project.. i'd say from the pics 4.5-7K... but you have given limited info/photos.

alpine_64

Donation Time
OK, the boot floor is shocking.. given that. the sills and the other panel damage this car is a BIG project.. you can only assume there is lots of internal rust.. i'd guess the tops of the spring shackles would be bad to..

Car is at the lower end of the scale.. looks reasonably complete... but there is enormous body work to be done.. and you would probably want to dip the car so that all the hidden rust is gone and you dont have it breaking through later if you managed to restore it.

Would be interesting to know the numbers.. car might be an alpine 260.. what do the sheilds say.. does it have any other plates bar the VIN/JAL .. could be an ex EU car or servicemans order car.

The car has lost of good parts and could either be a good donor to an incomplete tiger with a better body.. could be saved with massive hours/cost .. could be broken for parts. :(

alpine_64

Donation Time
The Vin number starts with B94 but I suppose the plate could have been riveted

The car will be a 947 tiger, late cross body.. the alpine 260's have the normal VIn/JAl but often have another spec plate, be it german, french etc.. if they were exported there new.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The Vin number starts with B94 but I suppose the plate could have been riveted

Better check that VIN carefully. Does it start with 947... or 940... or 941...?

947 would indicate a Tiger. 940 or 941 means the current side badges are correct and it started life as a Series IV Alpine.

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Tiger worth what?

The costs involved to save this Tiger would far exceed the actual value if it is restored to original condition. You would have to be so in love with owning a Tiger that money is no object and be obscenely wealthy to afford to restore this one. I suggest going one of two ways with this one. Purchase a very clean Alpine and transfer the pieces and parts that make it a Tiger to the Alpine. That is basically what the factory did in the first place....ALL Tigers were once Alpines. If absolute authenticity is your goal, sell what you have and use the money toward an authentic Tiger. The second option is to strip this car of all useable parts and sell them. There are enough Tiger guys out there that could use some or all of the parts. Either way is a daunting task. Lastly, do not ever discard or throw away Sunbeam parts, Tiger or Alpine. There is always someone who can use those very parts, however small. Good luck with your decision. I hope you find a solution that suits you.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
If it gets out that the owner went the route of transferring Tiger bits to an Alpine shell, it'll never get a TAC sticker.

The costs involved to save this Tiger would far exceed the actual value if it is restored to original condition. You would have to be so in love with owning a Tiger that money is no object and be obscenely wealthy to afford to restore this one. I suggest going one of two ways with this one. Purchase a very clean Alpine and transfer the pieces and parts that make it a Tiger to the Alpine. That is basically what the factory did in the first place....ALL Tigers were once Alpines. If absolute authenticity is your goal, sell what you have and use the money toward an authentic Tiger. The second option is to strip this car of all useable parts and sell them. There are enough Tiger guys out there that could use some or all of the parts. Either way is a daunting task. Lastly, do not ever discard or throw away Sunbeam parts, Tiger or Alpine. There is always someone who can use those very parts, however small. Good luck with your decision. I hope you find a solution that suits you.

alpine_64

Donation Time
there is a photo of the vin. it looks like B9473470 LROFE

If the car is a LRO then it is likely an Alpine 260.. which is what i suggested earlier.. would be nice to see the Vin and if there are any other compliance plates like french/german etc.... might have been a servicemens car.. seems a few of those were ordered in the EU and brought back stateside.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
The VIN plate photograph is on the imageshack page linked in post 4. Looks "old" and unmolested to me, but I'm no expert on 'em.

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
If you put a beefed up 302 or 351 into your Tiger, is it still a Tiger? No, not technically, because it's not factory correct.

Jim...in your analogy quoted above from your latest post, a Tiger is no longer a Tiger if it doesn't have it's original displacement motor in it. That is what you are saying...right? If this is true, then it would follow that an Alpine without it's original displacement motor in it would no longer be an Alpine...right? So, what do you call your non-factory, V6-powered vehicle?

To the originator of this thread...Franzwa...if you given up on this forum after all this and are still with us, dude234 is right. Transferring Tiger bits to an Alpine leaves you with a rusty Tiger body to dispose of and a modified Alpine. That poor Tiger you found is awfully rusty and it'll likely cost you more than it's worth to build it. My best advice, having been down the rust road with Sunbeams more than once, is to keep looking.

Best of luck,

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Franzwa, Offer him ...$650. You couldn't pick a better car to restore. I've seen cars in much worse shape than this come back to life.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
$650? If he can get it for that he can make a hefty profit by just turning it over to me. I see a lot more value than that.

Mark ..... volvoguys

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
$650? If he can get it for that he can make a hefty profit by just turning it over to me. I see a lot more value than that.

Mark ..... volvoguys
Franzwa DID say that the owner wants him to make an offer. The owner might reply: "Wow! We we only expecting $250 tops! Not much metal in these little things." :D

steven

Donation Time

Mark ..... volvoguys

As another Alpine & Tiger owner, go fore it the crap on some sites regarding Tiger ownership gets right up my nose. My lovley Tiger is sitting in a shed and hopefully will burst free in a year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.