• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Tiger and Alpine Barn Finds

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
You left off a few zeros.
$1,300,000. I have seen some strange eBay ads-this one takes the cake!

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thought I saw a . in there . Probably is some type of listing practice violation . Hard to feel bad for eBay when you think they're not going to get a penny out of the transaction. With steel scrap somewhere under 200 dollars a ton ....

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Fascinating find. Surely someone in the Sunbeam community knows about it. I think Leesburg is the lister's address, but the collection could be somewhere else.

It doesn't look to me like they actually want anyone to bid via ebay. It just says to contact them to prove yourself to be a bonafide bidder.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I agree, someone in the Sunbeam community must know about this hoard. Just look at that line of hard tops.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Fascinating find. Surely someone in the Sunbeam community knows about it. I think Leesburg is the lister's address, but the collection could be somewhere else.

It doesn't look to me like they actually want anyone to bid via ebay. It just says to contact them to prove yourself to be a bonafide bidder.
Jim I live 12 miles from Leesburg if you have any information about the seller let me know and I can check it out.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
If my memory serves, I saw this collection on the TE/AE sight. It does belong to someone ( or their relatives)
that is / was a member.

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Reminds me of something I witnessed in Ciudad Juarez about 50 years ago. A yankee couple was walking North on Avenido Benito Juarez back toward the international bridge and the husband was loaded down like a pack mule with cheap tourista crap. Elvis on velvet, a huge sombrero, ponchos, a couple of huge leather purses and even a full-sized "knight in armor" made from old license plates. As they trudged past a doorway, the shopkeeper yelled, "Hey senor, you wanna buy some more jonk?"

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Is that all of the cars? There would have to be a Sunbeam Specialties-sized building full of NOS Tiger parts to make that invitation to bid price remotely reasonable.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I sincerely doubt the seller thinks anyone is going to bid $1M for the lot. He is just using ebay to get some free advertising for the "PLANNED SEALED-BID SALE ON LOCATION IN THE NEXT 30 DAYS". Now, if someone wants to give him a million dollars to preempt that sale, I am sure he'd be happy to take it.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
This stuff is real, I got the word about it in early August. Someone is trying to get themselves and the widow top dollar for it. No more bargains on Tiger and Alpine parts or cars. We'll see who steps up and where it does or doesn't go.

buckalpine3

Donation Time
I wonder if this is from Bill Tyrees who was in Virginia. He posted under the name Sunbeam Auto Restoration.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Guys too cheep to pay 5 bucks on Craigslist .
Bring a Container for scrap.
Lots of pigs in that poke.
Bet lots of crumbling hard tops.
I've had like 7 of them in So.Cal. and 4 of them were a mess.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I keep looking at the soft top boot on the Tiger in the first photo. It doesn't look right for a Mk1 or Mk1a; almost like a hybrid of the two. Anyone see something I'm missing?

s-l1600.jpg