• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Rapier series 3 disc brake parts wanted

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
Looking to add series 3 brakes to my 57 Rapier. I have a complete set of parts but I hesitate to convert to something I can't find spares for. Does anyone know where disc rotors can be sourced, Also what about calipers? Any good used parts around? I have not found any mention of these parts anywhere. It seems that only the first year or two of this system on rapiers and minx will work. People list rotors for series 4 on rapier and 61 and later minx and super minx but not the earlier cars.

I am currently running series 3 alpine disc brakes but this set up raises the front about 1" and extends the track about 1" on each side which doesn't allow me to use the wheels I want.

It looks like it would be very easy to adapt a ford focus rotor and gm calipers to a drum brake hub. Anybody ever try this?

Thanks for any help.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Filister,

I'm not sure how much informational help you'll find here. Maybe someone who can help sort what can and can't be done will chime in.

It looks like it would be very easy to adapt a ford focus rotor and gm calipers to a drum brake hub. Anybody ever try this?

The Alpine was never equipped with front drum brakes, so unless someone in Europe or Australia has tried and is willing to contribute, you'll probably be on your own.

Looking to add series 3 brakes to my 57 Rapier.

You want to go to Series 3 Rapier Lockheed disk brakes and have the parts? Have you measured the diameters of those parts disks? Are they 10.8 diameter? I suspect you will only find replacements in the UK, if at all. The good news is if your current disks are in decent shape, they would probably last a good while.

You sure you don't want to go original with the drum brakes?

I did some searching and only found a listing for the later 10.3 inch disks, as you stated.

I'm about to do some wild guessing about stuff and parts I've never seen. The series 2 Rapier used some "massive" front drum brakes. Series 2 Rapier ended in 1959- Series 3 Rapier started in 1959. The Alpine didn't receive the new style rubber-bushed suspension until Series IV, late 1963. That is also around the time the Rapier changed to Series 4 with 13 inch wheels.

Here is where the guessing starts. I don't have a Rapier or Minx parts manual to check and compare specific parts.

Your s3 Rapier parts are of the "kingpin" style upright, as opposed to the later double ball joint upright and rubber bushed A-arm style. When the s4 Rapier began, it was mostly a make-do facelift because Rootes used the new body design for the Humber Sceptre. When Rootes decided to use 13 inch wheels on the Rapier ( think transplanted Alpine or Minx suspension parts ) the large Lockheed disks and calipers would not clear the 13 inch wheels. The Rapier required a new design upright for the Lockheed calipers to clear and for the double ball joint A-arm design. That makes my guess the new design upright lowered the caliper mounting for wheel clearance and required the smaller diameter disk because of the new mounting.

I tend to doubt the different style parts will play together with mix and match. IF the Lockheed front hubs have a different wheel mount flange location than the Alpine unit, it might be possible to mount that hub onto your current s3 Alpine spindles and disk. You would have to verify dimensions, bearings, and seals for both applications. If you try this route, be very careful as there were some major design changes in the Alpine units in this time frame and probably corresponding changes in the Rapier units as well.

Sorry for being long winded here without being very helpful. Most discussions about Rapiers here seem to want them as original as possible. You seem more of the "keep it on the road" mind set.

More questions, please ask. Plenty of people here with knowledge about things done, how they did it, and what to do differently if done again. It just wasn't on a Rapier.

Hope this was helpful,

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Husky, thanks for your thoughts. I was hoping someone might have an old rotor or 2 laying around. I have been looking for a supplier for a couple of months. I have checked everyone I know of in the US, Britain, and Austria. The parts just aren't there.

Mixing and matching the spindles / rotors / hubs and steering arms might work but there are many mounting differences.

It actually looks straightforward to mount the focus rotor to the hillman hub. Basically just turn down the drum locating boss on the hub to fit the rotor and fab a mounting bracket for the caliper using the rapier spindle. There is room for everything and it all lines up.

As everything is working well now with the alpine brakes this is not hi priority but eventually would like to lower the front for looks and get a narrower track to open up wheel selection. Currently using Ford Fiesta front drive wheels. The stock Rapier hubcaps actually fit on these wheels.

And as an option I do have all the parts to mount the" massive" drum brakes from the series 2 Rapier ... but i don't like drum brakes.
Anyway, thanks again.