• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam on National Geographic

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I was watching a National Geographic show on the Bonneville Salt Flats the other night and I saw a guy named Dr. Larry somethingorother attempting to go over 200 MPH in what I actually think was a later series Alpine with a heavily modified 351 windsor in it.

I remember hearing about something similar to this car being talked about either on the mailing list or on an earlier version of this forum.

Unfortunately Dr Larry only went 144mph but it was cool to see one of ours out there being driven in a sporting way.

Eric

'62 SerII

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Why did it only go 144 mph? Did it run out of power (I doubt it)? Did it want to lift off, or handle poorly? I'm surprised that he would attempt to go that fast in a car that is so short and shaped like a wing. Would have been cool to see it running out on the flats though.

Jose :cool:

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Joe,
He's a novice and they don't want him going flat out on his first run. The novices need to increase speed in intervals. If they go too fast, the officals will not be happy with them.
Jan

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I do believe he had some sort of mechanical issue.

He was cleared to go 200+ but didn't make it.

I came in towards the end of the program so I didn't see Dr. Larry going through his check out runs but it was implied that he had.

I actually assist on a streamliner crew so I know how the process works.
You can see my friend Nick Rock almost loose it at 144mph in a 250cc streamliner bike here:

http://homepage.mac.com/ejmwdesign/iMovieTheater16.html

This was a pre Binneville run at el Mirage this spring. He went on to Bonnevile and did almost 200 but was flooded out on the second day.

I know there's lots of run up but hang on till the end and watch when the shoot opens and the bike gets thrown around like a rag doll.

Eric

'62 SerII

alpine_64

Donation Time
I think he actually cleared 170mph,

this is a post from him on the Tigers mailing list:

Well, I just returned from a fantastic October meet on the salt, which
does not happen very often. Last time was 2001. The world's fastest
sunbeam (wannabe), with it's jy turbo inspired turbo system, it's
tweecer driven engine management system, and my own half baked ideas of
how to make it go had a good time. Our first run put is in impound: we
qualified to make a record run. That was at 180 and change for a flying
mile. Next morning cool and a bit of headwind. Bummer, as I coul dno
tback it up and only ran 178 mph for that same flying mile. Needed to
make at least 179. Dang wind... Went back out the same day with a tad
more spark and ran about the same speed. Engine simply has not gone more
that about 5200 rpm at any meet so far. Not for lack of pushing on the
throttle, lol... my 95 mm TB is at full open. In any case, things got
really exciting when I pulled the chute at the four mile mark... I was
slammed sideways in both directions three or four times. Finally slowed
enough to get me off the course in good shape, drove it off. Took a look
around the car and found the right rear rubbed the fender lip a bit and
when I looked under the car rear suspension, found the diagonal locator
link had managed to unscrew itself, moving the rear opver by about 3/4
inch. SInce it ws dog tracking when I pulled the chute it pulled me
sideways and started the excitement! Since the meet was just about over
due to weather, We just put the car in the traile rand loaded up to come
home. Oh, the speed at which it got exciting was 176 mph. As the dash
sign on another car said, "don't sh*t in fire suit" , I no wunderstand
what that truly means, lol.

I now have to research why the car will not turn more than about 5200
rpm. My hardware should be good for at least 6000 rpm. I have no
evidence of anything like valve float or fuel limiting going on.
Something else is amiss.

In any case, we made it home safe and sound, had a bunch of fun mixed
with stark terror.

more later

mayf

sunbeammadd

Donation Time
If memory serves, one of his reasons for using the Alpine was that he wanted to beat the current record for a Sunbeam car - 203.79 mph as set by Henry Segrave in 1927.

I'm surprised that he would attempt to go that fast in a car that is so short and shaped like a wing.

Jose :cool:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
If memory serves, one of his reasons for using the Alpine was that he wanted to beat the current record for a Sunbeam car - 203.79 mph as set by Henry Segrave in 1927.
Now that would be a worthy goal. Boy! Would I have loved being there to hear and see it run. I get chills of excitement just thinking of it. I want to wish him the best of luck on his goal. Can you imagine what a lot of hoopla there would be in the Sunbeam world, when he finally does go faster?

Jose :D