• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Invasion/SOS Columbia, SC March 23-24

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, Can't help but wonder if that is what you were doing while standing next to Blue Boy?

Calling your Body Man about the BW35 would not be a surprise! I can fully understand wanting to see "Completion" of a project after so long a wait....

I went thru that several times while doing the Straight Back Header fabrication for the 2.8 V6 FORD (Cologne).....:(

Decisions, decisions, decisions :eek:

After three different shops having the Alpine for atleast 6 months each, I brought it home and did it myself in a little over 2 weeks. Don't think it can't be done, because if you have the determination and patience, you can:D

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
[QUOTE="Alpine 1789, post: 181781, ..... he actually did some work on it last week, for the first time in 2 years. ....... (replaced one rocker panel and both front and rear valences, .......[/QUOTE]

The rocker panel can be replaced in one or two days at most (not counting painting). A rear panel another couple days.....? Front and rear valance different story, I have never removed and replaced them just patched (which was easy)....

65beam

Donation Time
Special thanks to you 65beam for those 1st Class Trophy Winner PIC's
Dan,
This 1st place car looks a lot different now. We started seeing snow in N.Carolina on the way home Sunday. By the time we got to Wytheville,Va there was about a foot of snow on the ground and every business in the area was closed due to no power. No food, no gas, nothing! The roads were clear but a bunch of salt on the road. The Beam is now grey. Need to hose it down.

Attachments

• 103_0138.JPG
    103_0138.JPG
    286.4 KB · Views: 9

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
We started seeing snow in N.Carolina on the way home Sunday. By the time we got to Wytheville,Va there was about a foot of snow on the ground and every business in the area was closed due to no power.
That is amazing! I drove back north Sunday, leaving about 11AM and never saw anything other than occasional rain. A foot of snow with a trailer must have been fun. Glad you made it home safely!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm glad you made the trip home safely thru the snow.

Speaking of hosing it down, I'm sure I need not tell you to get under the car as well! Even the soft top where the bow meets the windshield needs or should be thoroughly cleaned.

I remember the Hard Top that I purchased from Ken E had the whole top leading edge basically gone from salt deterioration. Ken did a good job of explaning the damage and the "bad" condition of the top when He offered it to me, so I am not complaining!! I understood it was in terrible shape, bought with a bargain price too!

Took it to my sheet metal man that re-built it completely, replacing all that salt damage (rust worms) for a good price. I not have a very good like new hard top for one of my Alpines.

How's the trailer? Hope that too is well!

65beam

Donation Time
That is amazing! I drove back north Sunday, leaving about 11AM and never saw anything other than occasional rain. A foot of snow with a trailer must have been fun. Glad you made it home safely!
Jim,
The strange thing was that the temp was in the 40's when we went thru and there was nothing but salt on the roads except for the water from melting that was running across the roads at times. Other than that we never saw roads with snow on them. The lady at the Va. rest area desk said it snowed all day Saturday and didn't start to stick until the sun went down. The snow was the reason for cancellation of the Nascar race just east of Wytheville

65beam

Donation Time
I'm glad you made the trip home safely thru the snow.

Speaking of hosing it down, I'm sure I need not tell you to get under the car ans well! Even the soft top where the bow meets the windshield needs or should be thoroughly cleaned.

I remember the Hard Top that I purchased from Ken E had the whole top leading edge basically gone from salt deterioration. Ken did a good job of explaning the damage and the "bad" condition of the top when He offered it to me, so I am not complaining!! I understood it was in terrible shape, bought with a bargain price too!

Took it to my sheet metal man that re-built it completely, replacing all that salt damage (rust worms) for a good price. I not have a very good like new hard top for one of my Alpines.

How's the trailer? Hope that too is well!
Dan,
I pulled the trailer to the local shop and he has an aluminum trailer in the shop with the same problem in the same area. He says he has repaired trailers with the same problem for years. Especially with owners that haul back hoes, etc. He said the welder did a great repair but the local shop is going to plate the inside on both sides. He said the reinforced front section and the area with the suspension work against each other and after the years and miles on the trailer the stress point breaks. He found a few places where the deck is raising due to rust between the deck and frame so he will clean it and weld the deck solid. A few years back I left Watkins Glen and broke two spring hangers while crossing the rough road called I 86. I've made six trips to the west coast with this trailer and I would estimate that it's covered at least 300000 miles hauling a Beam somewhere over the 24 years since Jean bought it new. It's due for some R&R. The closed trailer has made three west coast trips since she ordered it in 2008 and I would estimate it's covered 100000 miles. The shop is going to inspect it later. The car will get a good cleaning. Jean reminded me not to take it thru the automatic car wash! I tried that with the series 4 when the first automatic unit opened back in 1969. Things got a little wet.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
A quick thanks to all those who worked so hard and long to pull off another
great show. Dialed up excellent show weather and food.
It was good to finally see those v6 cars w/ power steering and a/c, a really good piece of work and beautiful too.
We, meaning Steve K. and John M. hit some nasty weather [snow and ice,rain] on the return trip. Johns S I did great
but the green S V unleashed the alternator so it spent the night in Burlington, but finally got to see George, who gave Steve and I a ride to Durham.
Picked up the car Sunday w/ John's help and drove it back to Durham, so perm repairs are underway.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Speaking of car problems, Steve Kirk/Alpine Addict: what is the latest on your car? Have you been able to retrieve it yet?

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is a summary of our show-will be printed in the next Rootes Review. Thanks to all for coming through rain, snow, car and trailer breakdowns and other troubles. Being there and seeing everyone is what it is all about. We missed those who could not make it! Eric+Todd

CAROLINA BRITISH CLASSICS – XII March 24, 2018

Our Sunbeam Invasion/SOS started on Friday the 23rd at the Wingate Hotel in Lexington, SC. All day long Sunbeam owners pulled into the parking lot from all over the Southeast and further North and joined us in the hospitality suite and swap meet room. We had several tech sessions, lots of parking lot talk and test drives and we all ate too much pizza and subs too. Some long distance travelers included the Jeffers from Wisconsin, the Webbs from Ohio, the McConlogues from Pennsylvania, and the Gabbards from Tennessee who donated 150 books which were handed out in the registration packets at the car show! A surprise visitor was SAOCA president Jim Stone who made the marathon drive from Long Island, NY. Been a long time since we have seen you Jim and it was good to see you again. The next morning, the Sunbeams all joined up with the other 136 British cars and lined up at the old Cayce motor speedway in conjunction with the Tartan Day South Scottish games. No rain was predicted and it was a cloudy and cool overcast day but that did not keep too many car owners away. There was an original owner 1959 Lotus Elite as well as the MG Guru, Barney Gaylord with his MGA and trailer, and some great stories! He has posted many photos and commentary of the show here http://mgaguru.com/tales/carolina_bc.htm Early that morning Todd Smith and I were setting up the EZ Up canopy tent for our Sunbeam group when the Fire Marshall stopped by to inspect the tent (first time in 10 years they have been present to do this…) He told us the canopy would have to be taken down unless we put weights on the four legs to hold it down-and using tent stakes to do that would not be acceptable. I asked about using drink coolers and he said that was OK. Problem was that we only had two coolers. So using the spare wire wheel from my car and Todd’s spare wheel took care of that problem! The best thing about this car show is being able to see all the Tartan Day events going on right next to the show. Seeing the border collies herding sheep, feats of strength, watching all the bands and hearing the bagpipes and drums all day long and people in costumes and kilts roaming around is great fun. There is always plenty for the families to see and do and that is why this show keeps getting larger every year. Come join us next year!