• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam get together

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks for posting pictures Mike. Can you identify which car belongs to who?

They all look good!

Hi Nick.

Wish you could have been there. The two on the driveway are of coarse Rich and Kelly's. The early series red one was completed by Jim and his son from Point Loma. The yellow one is owned by Jon Holchin and has a 2.6 V6 in it. I'll get the rest of them mixed up if I guess but I'm sure Kelly will chime in and let you know.

Last edited:

gordonra

Donation Time
The red with black bonnet is a 4 cylinder Series 2 or Series 3 GT that belongs to Ken Foster of Buena Park.

The white V6 drove in from up by Santa Barbera, but I can't recall the couple's name at the moment.

Sure wish you could have been there Nick!

Jon H

Donation Time
It was great to meet all the guys and girls at Kelly's place, specially Jose. Thanks to Kelly and company for being great hosts. Thanks to Jose for the tips and information.
The white one with the 4runner roll bar and auto trans is from Santa Cruz, can't recall their names.

Jon Houchin

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The guy's name is Greg Galvin, and his wife's name is Miko (I believe). He actually is from Santa Maria. He said that he had never, in the ten years he's had it modified, driven it farther than 10 miles from his home. he enjoyed cruising with it to Kelly's place and back. Santa Maria is about 500 miles from Yorba Linda. His Alpine was the first one to be converted with an automatic transmission.

The guy that restored the beautiful red Alpine, is Tom, with his son Storm.

I really liked Jon Houchin's yellow V6 Alpine. The color wasn't a screaming yellow, but a nice pastel color. He is removing the 2.6 V6 and is going to install a 2.8 V6.

All in all, we had a great time together. I am looking forward to next years get together. We should have at least 10 V6 Alpines there. We almost had six there this time, but my buddy from Murietta got sick and couldn't come.

Jose

p.s. Thank you Kelly!! You put on a great gathering.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
The red with black bonnet is a 4 cylinder Series 2 or Series 3 GT that belongs to Ken Foster of Buena Park.

The white V6 drove in from up by Santa Barbera, but I can't recall the couple's name at the moment.

Sure wish you could have been there Nick!

Thats right, Ken Foster, sorry Ken. Cool lookin' scoop and black hood, along with the hard top and wires you would think that car had a straight six with a row of webers hiding in there.

kmathis

Donation Time
We did have a good time on Sunday...some very cool cars and even better people. Below are a few more pictures of the meet.

Mike, thanks for posting those pictures, they are terrific.:)

I think we had 5 V6s, and 1 4cyl Alpine and 5 other cars represented. What a great time.

The winner of the furthest traveled goes to John Leder aka Lillypad, came from Florida...I think he said he was on his way somewhere else, but I think he just wanted to come to see us, it was great to see you in person and I will get that LAT hood out to you as soon as the shipping arrangements come through.

Tom and Storm, made a big hit with that '63 on the trailer; man that thing is beautiful, painted in the garage, I think that is why I like it so much. Jose got a ride in that one as well.

Visitors from Santa Maria, Walnut Creek, Buena Park, San Diego, Lake Forrest...what a great time.

Cars, food and fun...you can't beat it.

It was very inspiring, and I worked on my car all day Monday.

Should be even better next year, as more Alpines get finished and back on the road.

Thanks, for coming everybody.:D:D

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fnynkr3dx4au513/b3J8xFwewa

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Maybe next year...

Wasn't too long ago that you'd see 5 Alpines, and maybe 1 V6.

Thanks Kelly for doing this for the region. Might bean idea to start looking for a larger venue.... Rose Bowl?

SoCalpine

Donation Time
It was a great time! :D Who knew there were so many different ways to handle brakes? I have some good photos which I plan to email to Kelly and othere just as soon as those yahoos at my email provider gets their act together.:mad:

gordonra

Donation Time
I think it was a great turn out, and was pleased to meet everyone!

Kelly did an outstanding job on the hospitality again this year too. Thanks for all you did!

This was the third largest gathering of Sunbeams I've seen, and hopefully we'll have even more next time!

Rich

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I forgot to mention that Kelly gave me a ride in his little bomb. It runs really well. He surprised me when he speed shifted into third and got a little scratch.

Kelly has done a marvelous job on his Alpine. If you saw it, you'd think it was fresh from the factory. To be honest, the whole car looked way better than any new Alpine ever looked. You have to see it to understand why I am so enthused about it.

When he gave me the ride, it brought back so many great memories of when I still had mine. It is the reason I request that my friends give me a ride in theirs when they get them running. It is the only thing I ask.

I'm so looking forward to coming back next year to this meet. I will begin inviting everyone now, that I know in the western U.S., and any guys on the east coast too, to come and have a great time with us. I know if I begin now, we could truly need to rent the Rose Bowl to be able to accommodate them all.

Jose

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Wow! Great pictures and comments. Maybe next year, as my V6 engine is still not broken in and there fore not ready for a long drive. I could pull it on my 16 foot farm trailer though???
A quick request though - can some one provide a caption for one of the pix so I can tell who people are? especially Jose and Kelly who have been very helpful to me with my V6 project.

Last edited:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Charles,

I have a bad memory, so can´t remember all the last names right now, although I know I will tomorrow.

In picture 12, in the last row, starting from the left, are:

1) Jon Houchin
2) Mike Armstrong
3) Rich Gordon
4) Storm
5) Tom (Storm´s dad)
6)John Leder (lillypad) he came all the way from Florida for the meet.
7) Jose
8) Ken

Front row from left:

1) Mike Bisiri
2) John
3) Kelly Mathis
4) Kevin (birdfan)
5) Greg Galvin (hiding)

I don´t know how to post the pictures with the names under them. I´m sorry I can only post the list.

We had a great time together, is all I can say. Charles, Greg had never driven his V6 Alpinefarther than ten miles from his home. He actually broke the engine in on the trip, so you could do the same thing next year. I can assure you, if you do drive it all the way from Texas to California, you´ll have a very fun trip. I really enjoyed mine when I drove all the way from Seattle to L.A., then to Charleston and back to Seattle. Your Alpine will love the open road.

Jose

p.s. I would really love to see you drive all the way from Texas to the meet. I hope you do.

Last edited: