• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam bodges you have found

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Bodge
"verb. informal to make a mess of; botch"
Here is one of my favorites on the trunk lid of one of my parts cars. This poor Alpine was stored in a chicken coop. Not sure if the lock was there to keep chickens in or out!
I am sure you have found some bodges over the years-please post a few.Bodge1.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
That hasp had to be placed there for the chickens.

The bolts utilized for the lock could be easily removed:)

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here's one that I found while working on a really nice original Series V with 38K original miles.
I couldn't believe a "professional" would do this.
IMG_1419.JPG

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
@65sunbeam maybe a very crude safety catch for some track work... The sebring cars used so.e quite joinery inspired latches....

Maybe part of the "Foul "coop"er racing team". :D

mikephillips

Donation Time
Parts car I once got that had wooden wall paneling used for floors. Rather than cut it into multiple pieces the installer had run them flat across both the front and rear and user 2x4 hunks to keep the seats from collapsing the bits under them. Then used caulk and bent bits of scrap sheet metal to fasten them around the edges. Seats were bolted flat to the floors.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is my newest project, a Ser3......someone fitted a ser1/2 rear clip on the car without straightening the right rear frame rail AND brazed the rear clip on vs welding!!!! Lotsa $$ later, fixed!

Attachments

• 20200908_115350.jpg
    20200908_115350.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 107

alpine_64

Donation Time
Here is my newest project, a Ser3......someone fitted a ser1/2 rear clip on the car without straightening the right rear frame rail AND brazed the rear clip on vs welding!!!! Lotsa $$ later, fixed!
I see another alpine sitting outside in the background

65sunbeam

Diamond Level Sponsor
Time for more bodges!
This is a steering wheel I got from a parted out Alpine. Note the household door bell now being used as a horn button!

DSC04530.JPG

65sunbeam

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thought I would get this thread going again as I just bought an Alpine with lots of nice features and lots of bodges too.
How about buying a new gas cap lid and not installing the original inside parts to seal it as well as not installing the spring to hold the release button out?? Hey it looks good when it is closed except the release button is all the way in....Bodged gas cap.jpg

65sunbeam

Diamond Level Sponsor
Maybe not a bodge but to me it sure looks like one!
I have never seen chrome headlight eyebrows on a Sunbeam before. Not that there's anything wrong with that but over MKII non-peaked headlight rims as well?Alpine visors.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Maybe not a bodge but to me it sure looks like one!
I have never seen chrome headlight eyebrows on a Sunbeam before. Not that there's anything wrong with that but over MKII non-peaked headlight rims as well?View attachment 31031
Eric... Nice bodged SV you got... LAT70s... Mkii rims...
Yes hilarious they got no peaked rims and added eyelids....
I also like the twin pin stripe... That has the upper stripe going over the body onto the rim... Ads graphics and a way to secure the rim!

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a Series V in the shop. The car had spent quite a bit of time in body shops in the Bronx, which is
where my customer bought it. For the money it was a very solid car. We're doing a complete restoration
so the whole car is stripped. When pulling the engine, which is filthy, I noticed when draining the coolant
there was a damp "ring" in all the grime. Once the engine was out, it appears that the engine must have
thrown a rod and someone attempted to weld the broken part back in. Tried to seal it with a ring of RTV to
hide it (or attempt to seal it). Needless to say we won't be using this engine in the car. Too bad as it was the original engine!

Attachments

• IMG_2477.JPG
    IMG_2477.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 47

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I thought it was put a Bodge in your garage :)
Old 70's Walnut paneling as a replacement for the foot board on the passenger side. Coat hanger as an accelerator cable or one with a knot tied in the cable..

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
No problem with any repair that keeps an Alpine safely on the road. Prime example, the engine block repair. My Grandfather did a similar repair on a 1932 Oliver farm tractor. The repair lasted longer than the tractor. Note I said safely on the road. The flooring repair is definitely a no no.
Bill