• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine & Tiger: Re-wiring the Car

65beam

Donation Time
FYI, For those that don't have the time there are new Plug and play harness available. It has all wiring for the car as original if you don't need a dozen fuse circuits. This is a product from the U.K. using correct color coded wires. This is now in the white LeMans and fit great. I also have one in the series 4. These wiring harnesses are available thru Sunbeam Specialties if you're here in the states. Cost for this car including bulbs,109_0743.JPG etc. was $389.75.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I have always wired my own cars (my degree is in electronics) because I save lots of money, but this is a very reasonable price. I did wire my SV for about $200.00 and I run the wires where I want them to be, plus I have a different heater and after market gauges. Under $400.00 is not a bad deal.

65beam

Donation Time
The only thing added to our cars is a radio and a lighter and neither is used very often so these wiring harnesses work well with no problems encountered.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We use our cars regularly, 15,000 miles a year is not uncommon as a result we find that in modern traffic there are a number of 'updates' that are useful, so we modify the wiring looms accordingly. A tracker and alarm makes sense from a security point of view. We fit electric cooling fans and screen washers. Some of our Alpines have electronic ignition and electric fuel pumps. We fit USB sockets as most of us have iPhones these days and it is useful to be able to either charge the phone or use it as a Sat Nav/Radio. Wherever possible we re-use original looms. We strip the wires out, clean them and the make new looms with them, keeping the correct Lucas colours. We increase the thickness of wires for lights and horns and add relays for these (a very quick and easy improvement in performance). We have found that often modern wires have fewer strands of copper in them compared to the original wires. A standard off-the-shelf wiring loom will suit many people but if you want to make your own it is not hard and will cost very little.

Tim R

alpine_64

Donation Time
Tim,

Your videos and knowledge are very welcome and appreciated by most members.

The wiring loom upgardes are certainly more applicable for cars being used regularly in a modern context and i dont think anyone should have confused your work with someone just trying to create a stock loom at home.

We have a forum member who created upgraded looms for sunbeams with multiple fuses and relays for safer more reliable wiring and also inclusions such as electric fans, fuel pumps and sound equipment.

Your USB connections are a great idea for inclusion.. You could even hide them in the central arm rest or the glove cubby.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and knowledge.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Michael,
That is actually very similar to what a lot of us do here in the U.K. Most circuits have their own fuses, the fuseboxes are made so that if a fuse ever fails the blown fuse illuminates to show you which one has gone. We have a USB on the transmission tunnel power the phone when it is being used as a Sat Nav/Radio and additional USBs in the cubby box that re-charge other phones and re-chargeable strip lights. It makes the cars easier to live with and use in 2020.

Tim R

Attachments

• P1150110.jpeg
    P1150110.jpeg
    549 KB · Views: 52
  • P1140073.jpeg
    P1140073.jpeg
    440.1 KB · Views: 53
  • P1140094.jpeg
    P1140094.jpeg
    503.8 KB · Views: 52
  • P1140096.jpeg