• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine Side light unit Earth modification

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
This video details how to improve the earthing on Alpine sidelight units (Series III-V) and Tigers. Doing this will also help to prevent your lenses from being broken, reduce the opportunities for rust to start and give you a fully sealed, waterproof unit.

Tim R

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Another option for skipping the new bolt for a ground point is using the spare ground connection on the hood rest clip. I assume that ground point was the design at one time, before cost cutting was implemented.

I've had good luck so far using that ground point (after cleaning up the clip and connectors).

Mike

Attachments

• Alpine Capture 019 ground clip.JPG
    Alpine Capture 019 ground clip.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 16

65beam

Donation Time
I drill a small hole in the flange where the front valance meets the fender. My units have a wire attached to the housing by using a short # 6 bolt and then the ground wire is bolted to the flange. There is another simple grounding fix in the TE/AE tech tip M48. My question is do any of you use J clips on the body or do you just put the screw thru the body which would result in a poor ground.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Mike,

That is a good option.

65Beam,

Normally the car would have body clips (which I presume are what you refer to as J clips) to take the screws. The trouble is that whether you use the screw directly into the metal of the car or use a body clip, one or other of these methods relies on you scraping through some paint and making an earth to the bare metal. I don't like that, which is why I do what I detailed in the video.

Tim R

65beam

Donation Time
Mike,

That is a good option.

65Beam,

Normally the car would have body clips (which I presume are what you refer to as J clips) to take the screws. The trouble is that whether you use the screw directly into the metal of the car or use a body clip, one or other of these methods relies on you scraping through some paint and making an earth to the bare metal. I don't like that, which is why I do what I detailed in the video.

Tim R
We in the states have different terminology for several car related items such as trunk versus boot , soft top versus hood and hood versus bonnet. There are several different styles of clips available . I use clips that allow me to secure the unit including lense and with a new body gasket and a new lense gasket such as the ones sold by SS the unit is sealed. I'm sure you understood that I ground my cars in such a way that there is no chance of rust or chipping of the paint since we look ahead and drill any needed holes prior to painting. You're right about paint not allowing a good ground but if you clean the drilled hole and use the proper size bolt and the proper lube when hooking up grounds prevents corrosion. You're happy with your way, others may think different as Jan just stated.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Jan,

That looks like good stuff. I've not seen it before.

65Beam,

I wasn't meaning to criticise or preach, apologies if it came over that way! Many of the Alpines that I have worked on in the UK have had screws stuck in the indicators with little thought as to what damage may be being caused Sometimes just wood screws have been used either straight into the metal or into body clips which have themselves scratched through the paint. You can guess what the end result is! I don't think many of the former owners had done a proper job as you describe.

Best Wishes,

Tim R

65beam

Donation Time
Tim,
Like you I've seen even worse repairs. A number of years ago we bought three parts cars and when I started picking at rust bubbles on the lower front fender I found newspaper filling the hole with filler over it . It's all in the details which takes time and a lot of effort.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Solder a ground to the body of the sockets, use Chevy side marker socket for the marker lite solves a lot of these problems.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Series 3 has the small round indicators - same as I & II. Good article for IV, V and Tiger though.

65beam

Donation Time
The ground wire can be attached to the early light units. I did the same thing to the units for the Harrington as I did on the 4 & 5.