• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine Series V: Reducing the water leaks.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nice! Years ago I fitted bug screen mesh to the inside of my ventilator grilles and that worked to keep out the debris (and was nearly invisible), but of course the water still got through. This is a great fix.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
I applaud you. Something simple, that actually works and looks attractive. Very educational information about the water channel and flow. I hadn't thought about it. Well done.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Way more elegant than my cars P.O. fix of completely blocking off the vents. Sure the car was from the San Fran Bay area but its been raining like January here in So.Cal. :(
I would note that I have seen several cars with a quarter size or less rust about the rest of the body but the carpet can easily mess up the floors, especially on the Tigers with a nearly 90 degree bend to the drain tubes. Duck bill brain caps what quack of an engineer figured that one ....

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Warren has a point about the design of the duck bill drain. I would suggest that anyone still using the original factory duck bill may be a very large part of the problem, since they are not new and may be "hard as carp" which means they may not drain at all! I did a Google search regarding duck bills and you would be amazed at the application for many systems besides for auto vent drains.

65beam

Donation Time
The new duck bills sold by SS are not dried up and hard and fairly cheap as are the formed hoses running from the vents to the tunnel. Fairly easy to replace these items.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
LOL don't care if they are good reproductions it's a stupid design. Any debris can clog the thing. Despite the great video by or member on to mitigate H20 intrusion to soak carpet . I have seen and have a car that has blocked vents.

65beam

Donation Time
LOL don't care if they are good reproductions it's a stupid design. Any debris can clog the thing. Despite the great video by or member on to mitigate H20 intrusion to soak carpet . I have seen and have a car that has blocked vents.
I've had a lot of Beams that I've parted out and yes, I've found many of the duck bills clogged as do the hoses connecting them to either the vents or in earlier series the one hose to drain from the heater core area. It would be easy to eliminate the duck bill by running a longer hose and letting it extend thru the tunnel but that would allow critters or whatever to get into the tube where the duck bill does seal off the opening. I would say they were designed to allow water to drain and the fact that owners would actually allow debris to accumulate in other parts of the car was not taken into consideration. You'll find similar items in todays cars . I've never thought to see what is on the end of the A/C drain. Allowing debris to accumulate in or on the car only leads to damage. You'll find the external vent openings on todays cars are designed to prevent junk from getting thru. Neglect of these old British cars by owners brings up the question of whether the duck bill or neglect is the lesser evil. I have replaced the duck bills when the body restoration was done by using new pieces from SS. They're quite nice and fit good in the tunnel opening. The screen is a good idea.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I don't get the car vvet making the tube longer adding a reverse screen if you are concerned about critters. California mice are not small enough to go thru the ID of those hoses. As for other areas of the car anyone that actually cleans their car can see here crap accumulates. I still find a black dog hair once in a blue moon in the old car under the back seat ;) as for other little nasty things I pick the lesser....