• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine For Sale – California Car – The First Owner Kept It For 47 Years!

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I would say that the seller doesn´t know what these cars are going for. For that kind of money it would need to be like the Alpine that was so well documented (like the one that sold here some years back) and completely restored, and even then It would still be over priced.

Jose

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I seriously doubt he´ll get anything close to that. A fully restored (beautiful) Alpine, with leather interior and a V6 with five speed sold recently for about that amount.

What you have here is a 7K, to maybe 9K Alpine. Just because someone had it for 47 years doesn´t earn it anything.

Jose

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
If that car's worth $30k, mine must be worth at least $20k. I'll make a one time offer to anybody who wants to give me $18k. Hell, for that price, I'll deliver. ;0)

johnd

Donation Time
Unless California Alpines appreciated over the past 47 years at the same rate that California real estate did somebody is going to be mighty disappointed.

65beam

Donation Time
for sale

there are alpines selling for more than 7 or 8 K. there was one in excellent shape that was hauled back to ohio from the south coast last week that sold for more than 7 or 8. it's going to need work to get it to the level of his tiger. I know of several others that are in this area and to the east of us that have sold for a fair price. the difference is that the buyers and sellers don't frequent this forum so you guys are not aware of what some cars really sell for. there are consignment dealers in this area that sell cars to clients that tell them what they want and what they will pay. decent prices are being paid for cars and parts. those are the facts. even alpines!

alpine_64

Donation Time
I would say that the seller doesn´t know what these cars are going for. For that kind of money it would need to be like the Alpine that was so well documented (like the one that sold here some years back) and completely restored, and even then It would still be over priced.

Jose

Jose... I think the Alpien moarket has moved on a little.. and I have always felt you have undervalued stock cars a little. This car is asking on the high side.. Had the car been well documented and in better original condition.. i can see the prince being made... but this car is not original enough.. and not preserved well enough.

the aftermarket radio and lal the wiring hanging down.. heavily faded carpets.. cracked dash pad.. wrecked rubber mats are detractors.... then there is the fact it has had body work...

The car looks honest.. has great american racing mags... but ultimately.. its a nice survivor... not an exceptional one.

A well presereved car will be worth more than a super restored one.. as i have said.. only original once... and this car proves that out.. its not bad.. but needs work... it has survived unscathed...

Its a great base for a concourse resto... or what i would preffer... just sort it.. detail it up and enjoy it..... i think its a mid teens car.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Memories are made of this....

Reminds me of my '67 back in '86 that I bought for my oldest son. A very nice driver. No rust! Bought for a $1000.00 Restored, not for sale at $20K.

And it is running nicely!:D

Last edited:

Mike Gulett

Donation Time
1967 Alpine values

The Hagerty Price Guide lists a 1967 Alpine as follows: condition 1: $38,800 and condition 2: $24,000. Hagerty’s numbers are based on actual sales both public and private sales when they can get the data.

This Alpine is valued between a condition 2 and condition 1 because of the level of originality.

Some of you may not be keeping up with classic car price appreciation recently. Original cars now command more money than the over the top restored cars. This car for sale here is mostly original and yes the first owners 47 year ownership does add value and the lifetime of this car all in So. California does add value.

Tigers are appreciating quickly and that will pull the Alpine along just like other marques have done.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wow, you pulled the trigger with that post. The bullet just glanced off the ceiling ricocheted toward the "dream garage" where there is this incredible Alpine with many touches of TLC. I hope you didn't spend too much on those needed improvements. Good luck with the marketing.

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
I am not sure where Hagerty get their prices but they are incorrect based on what is actually selling.

Many of the list members including myself regularly look at the classifieds. There are Alpines which are overpriced and do not sell and those that are correctly priced or underpriced that do sell. We have a good idea of the value of an Alpine. A car is worth what anyone will pay for it.

The car in question is a nice car with some originality, I have a similar car with one previous owner. The car is not a perfect original car, dents and a repaint, rubber mats worn, cracked dash pad etc. The value of a car is determined by its overall condition.

I do feel the car is way overpriced based on what else is selling. I could find at least two possibly three cars in similar condition for that price.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike: please understand that most of us would love to see you get your asking price for your car. Alpines have long been undervalued and anyone who has restored or personalized his car has done so knowing that there is little chance of truly recovering the time and money invested. As for following the prices of the market, please keep in mind that this is the website of the Sunbeam Alpine Owners Club of America. Not only do the people here follow the values of our cars, most of us do so religiously, if not compulsively. The Hagerty and NADA values have been discussed here many times before and simply don't reflect the realities of the marketplace. Feel free to check the pages of Hemmings or the completed listings on eBay if you don't believe us.

As for Tigers pulling the Alpines along, I have owned my SV for 37 years and always observed that a Tiger was worth about 5 times a comparable Alpine. I paid $600 for mine in 1977 and think you could get a pretty decent Tiger for $3 grand back then. The recent appreciation of Tigers only seems to have magnified the gap, if anything.

I am sorry that no one is supporting your view. I really wish we had better news for you, but I don't think you will find it here. I only hope you didn't buy the car from the original owner based on the Hagerty values. If so, I am sure there is someone else who will buy the car from you based on those values; it may take a while, but good luck!

Mike Gulett

Donation Time
I am not sure where Hagerty get their prices but they are incorrect based on what is actually selling.

Many of the list members including myself regularly look at the classifieds. There are Alpines which are overpriced and do not sell and those that are correctly priced or underpriced that do sell. We have a good idea of the value of an Alpine. A car is worth what anyone will pay for it.

The car in question is a nice car with some originality, I have a similar car with one previous owner. The car is not a perfect original car, dents and a repaint, rubber mats worn, cracked dash pad etc. The value of a car is determined by its overall condition.

I do feel the car is way overpriced based on what else is selling. I could find at least two possibly three cars in similar condition for that price.

Hagerty get their numbers from actual sales and they have a team who gather the actual prices. I have spoken to the editor, Dave Kinney, many times about his process because I think his numbers are low compared to what I see in the market for the cars I follow closely. I wrote a critique at this link and rated Hagerty a B- (because they are low): http://mycarquest.com/?p=34515

When you say "I could find at least two possibly three cars in similar condition for that price." Doesn't that mean this Alpine is priced correctly?

Mike Gulett

Donation Time
Mike: please understand that most of us would love to see you get your asking price for your car. Alpines have long been undervalued and anyone who has restored or personalized his car has done so knowing that there is little chance of truly recovering the time and money invested. As for following the prices of the market, please keep in mind that this is the website of the Sunbeam Alpine Owners Club of America. Not only do the people here follow the values of our cars, most of us do so religiously, if not compulsively. The Hagerty and NADA values have been discussed here many times before and simply don't reflect the realities of the marketplace. Feel free to check the pages of Hemmings or the completed listings on eBay if you don't believe us.

As for Tigers pulling the Alpines along, I have owned my SV for 37 years and always observed that a Tiger was worth about 5 times a comparable Alpine. I paid $600 for mine in 1977 and think you could get a pretty decent Tiger for $3 grand back then. The recent appreciation of Tigers only seems to have magnified the gap, if anything.

I am sorry that no one is supporting your view. I really wish we had better news for you, but I don't think you will find it here. I only hope you didn't buy the car from the original owner based on the Hagerty values. If so, I am sure there is someone else who will buy the car from you based on those values; it may take a while, but good luck!

I appreciate your perspective and experince. However, I think it is useful to look to the future rather than the past.

The AC Ace has appreciated in recent years driven by the appreciation of the Shelby Cobra. I spend a lot of my time in the Iso and Bizzarrini world and have seen the Iso Grifo and Bizzarrini GT 5300 both appreciate significantly over the past 3-4 years driven by the overall collector car market and the Ferrari marque appreciation. Just yesterday I reported on an Iso Grifo in need of a restoration that sold for $371,000 - the second highest price paid for a Grifo at a public sale (http://mycarquest.com/?p=44000).

This is a world wide market with demand and prices being driven by buyers all over the world. Those of you committed to the Sunbeam Alpine model should set your sites higher. There are buyers who may want a Tiger but cannot afford a Tiger but can afford an Alpine and there are buyers who prefer an Alpine because of the British purity.

I recently listed and sold on the first day an Iso Rivolta GT for $59,900 and an Apollo GT project car for $50,000 both new high numbers for the condition of the model.

Many of these price records are set by buyers who have not owned the marque before so those of you who have owned Sunbeams for years may not be the collectors who set the prices now and in the future.

Think bigger.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, I think what he said and you think are two different things. I think he said he could buy three cars in like condition for what you are asking for the "one" you are asking $29K.

I wish you well in your sell! It probably would make a few heads turn toward the ALPINE with a different attitude:D

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike,
I believe you car is overpriced based on what is currently selling today. There is more expertise on this list on Sunbeams and their value than what Hagerty has to offer. Most of the list members have owned Sunbeams for a long while, some since they were new. I agree Sunbeam prices are rising but for $29K in todays market the car would have to be as good as new restored or unrestored.

Respectfully
Steve

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
We really do wish you well, Mike. Please post back here when the car has been sold and let us know how you did. I for one would be more than happy to say "I was wrong" and to congratulate you on setting a new benchmark for Alpine sales.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Go fish

Clearly a nice car but I'm on tne pig pile on this one.
All you have to do is shop here or be in Calif to find a car like this at considerable savings.
Remember the 1000s of these that were made. Lots of cars hiding in garages to come forth.