• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine: Fitting a Series V Soft Top (Part I)

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
This video is the first of two that cover fitting a new soft top to a Series V Alpine. This job took us a number of days but the end result makes it well worth it.

Don't forget that you can go direct to You Tube and watch The Sunbeam Alpine Channel as well as accessing individual videos from this forum.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
These are great videos! Much better that was was available just a few days ago. I know, because this is also just a day late for Rocco and me. We finished installing a new top on his SV on Tuesday. Saying this job is a "pain" doesn't begin to capture the process! While we are very happy with the end result, having your video would really have helped ease that pain. Fortunately, we have at least 4 more cars to do. Our initial experience plus your videos should make those go a lot smoother.

We do have one question that you, or others here, can help answer. The Part II video shows just one lift-dot fastener at the front of the horizontal flap and one snap fastener at the back. Is that correct? His car has more, as does my SV, although "more" is different for each car. It will be helpful to know what was there originally. Thanks.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
As usual Tim, you have provided a very informative video.... Now for Part II :)

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Alpine1789, I believe that there should only be one lift-a-dot at the front of the flap and one press stud at the back on a Series V Sports. Sometimes you get additional pegs or studs added when people have fitted replacement soft tops or soft top covers and put the fixing in the wrong place. They suddenly find out that the fixing they've put in for the ir new soft top is in a different position to the one for the original soft top cover (or main tonneau cover) and have to add extra fixings. That is why it is helpful if you are doing a full restoration, as we are, to start from scratch and make of all the fixings match.

The videos on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel on You Tube are proving to be amazingly popular. Over 45,000 people have viewed at least one now and there are over 30 videos posted there that will help any Alpine owner. The channel averages about 140 views per day from all around the world.

Tim R

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Tim is correct. I now have not only an answer to my question, I have THE answer, courtesy of a friend in the UK who sent me a copy of the original factory drawing showing where to drill holes for all of the snaps and lift-dot fasteners!

Series III  IV & V.jpg

While this particular scan doesn’t come directly from the Rootes Archive Trust, it is a great example of why the Club, along with most Rootes car clubs, is supporting the Trust’s efforts. They are busy scanning all of the original factory drawings and will ultimately make them available to all Rootes car owners. This is really going to be a wonderful resource for all of us! Thanks to all of the members who recently contributed to our fund-raising effort on behalf of the Trust.