• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine Cylinder Head?

JLuis

Donation Time
Hi guys,

I'm new to the Sunbeam Alpine forum. I came across this cylinder head which appears to be from a Sunbeam Alpine. Unfortunately, after spending several hours looking at pictures, I could not find one that looks exactly like the one I have. It does have the following numbers stamped 2 D 68 1557893. Not sure if the number 1 is part of the numbers or if it's an imperfection on the casting. I have attached some pictures, hopefully someone may help me identify this cylinder head to find out what model Sunbeam Alpine it came out of and what year.

Thank you!

alpine_64

Donation Time
Not for any "series" sunbeam alipne from 1959-68 or the fastback models from 68 onwards.

It doesn't appear to be for the mark alpine from 53-55 either.

Why do you think it's a sunbeam part?

Could it be from a Renault model?

JLuis

Donation Time
I was told it was from a Sunbeam Alpine. If it's not from a Sunbeam, it makes sense why I could not find one. :(

By the way, thank you for the prompt response!

JLuis

Donation Time
Still no luck. The casting marks seem, from the research I've done to be from a Sunbeam Alpine. Possibly a 1968?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Still no luck. The casting marks seem, from the research I've done to be from a Sunbeam Alpine. Possibly a 1968?

What info do you have that suggests this?

Because I like a good puzzle, I invested 10 minutes on an interweb search to determine the model the head came from. I turned up stumped.
The casting numbers yielded nothing and searching for obscure heads by picture also yielded nothing.

Be assured it is not from any sunbeam or other rootes vehicle.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
JLuis,

I couldn't find a good picture for comparison but I think your head is for a Rover 2000tc.

I did find one pic that seems to show the front portion of the housing with the plug that is stuck in thermostat housing pictured on your head.

Also found this quote on Wikipedia; " At the time the engine was unusual in having an overhead camshaft layout. The cylinder head had a perfectly flat surface, and the combustion chambers were cast into the piston crowns "

Good luck and hope this helps,

RootesRacer

Donation Time
JLuis,

I couldn't find a good picture for comparison but I think your head is for a Rover 2000tc.

I did find one pic that seems to show the front portion of the housing with the plug that is stuck in thermostat housing pictured on your head.

Also found this quote on Wikipedia; " At the time the engine was unusual in having an overhead camshaft layout. The cylinder head had a perfectly flat surface, and the combustion chambers were cast into the piston crowns "

Good luck and hope this helps,
Winner!

I think you are right. I saw some old ebay uk sales that were for a 2200 TC that look almost identical to the one shown.

So there you are, the head is some sort of Rover 4 cyl model.