1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Sunbeam 2000 build

Discussion in 'Modified Alpine' started by belmateo, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Toyanvil

Toyanvil Gold Level Sponsor

Yes, me too.

2. belmateo

belmateo Gold Level Sponsor

3 weeks to go till the car show at Woodley Park. The countdown begins

3. belmateo

After trying several options for the side mirrors, decided to put the original mirrors back on the car. The chrome ones looked nice but were too close to the door and did not give me a safe side and rear view because of the angle. The bullet ones I made turned out to just be too small of a mirror for my taste. So now I have breakaway electric mirrors, again!
    Not liking the news about Los Angeles area (Covid 19) with the Queens English show coming up. We will be there regardless of wether the show is on or not.

4. belmateo

Anyone looking for a nice project for a decent price?
    Not mine, be happy to look at it for you.
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/santa-rosa-1963-sunbeam-alpine-runs/7346779823.html

1963 Project.jpg

Runs and drives..has been in storage for many years.I dug this out of my uncle's garage, Towed it home and got it running.The motor sounds good. the accelerator pump doesent work. It has a hilman engine. the paint and old body work is rough. the interior is very rough , It needs total restoration. It has a hard top with a broken back window. it has a soft top that is in poor shape.The tires are brand new. the rims dont fit properly but they work.the brakes work. There is also a spare engine and rear end. The spare engine has a single side draft carburetor. The registration is on non op.

5. husky drvr

husky drvr Platinum Level Sponsor

Just a note, many original Hillman carbs are not endowed with an accelerator pump for economy reasons.

Hope this helps,

6. belmateo

Wait, How many Alpines had Hillman motors?

7. husky drvr

husky drvr Platinum Level Sponsor

None from the factory. It's a replacement for the original engine "because it fits - sort of".

The spare engine is from a Hunter (Arrow) iron head or fastback style Alpine. It would be interesting to have the VIN from the block in the car. The carbs without accelerator pumps were used on the earlier 1390 and 1494 engines, IIRC. This car has a spin on oil filter which would be a later part than the carb. There is a possibility it could be a later engine with an early carb and manifold set because the Hunter style manifolds wont work in a series Alpine. The nylon fuel line might indicate a later engine as well.

I'm not positive but is the body VIN plate missing?

8. belmateo

I went back and looked at the pictures and it appears to be missing the VIN plate.

9. belmateo

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  10. belmateo

11. belmateo

Is Google right?
    Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 4.26.39 PM.png

12. belmateo

13. belmateo

We survived the 405 Ugh!
    View from Getty Center IMG_20210731_123431162_copy_600x800.jpg

14. belmateo

IMG_20210801_101820924_copy_2304x1728.jpg IMG_20210801_101538405_copy_2304x1728.jpg Nice turnout!

IMG_20210801_101538405_copy_2304x1728.jpg

ernestovumbles likes this.
  15. belmateo

16. Toyanvil

Toyanvil Gold Level Sponsor

It was nice meeting you at the show and seeing your car, did you find a good place for lunch?

17. belmateo

John, good to meet the both of you as well. So glad I took the trip down to SoCal for the show. Your cars gave me inspiration to get mine more finished and put a decent paint job on it.

18. Alpine 1789

Alpine 1789 SAOCA President Platinum Level Sponsor

19. belmateo

Jim,
    Good question, it is hard to tell since there are no engine bay pictures posted. I do see a muffler and part of a tailpipe on the passenger seat and a single roll bar?
    Different indeed, don't think the asking price is too far off.

20. Alpine 1789

Alpine 1789 SAOCA President Platinum Level Sponsor

Just went to look at the photos again and the listing is deleted. I assume it sold fast.