• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
LED's are the way to go for their long life and light output and yes they can be too bright. My research leans towards a sort of lens that you find on some flashlights, especially the home rechargeable one that let you adjust the beam from point to flood. My goal is to get them inside a 2" beehive type of bulb to be cohesive with my tail lights.
Your wife is right!
I always say "Happy Wife, Happy Life"
Wive's are ALWAYS right.
Right gentlemen?
100_3955.JPG

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have been looking at all my options for backup lights and I have to say that MikeH nailed it. The Mustang lights (64.5-70) would look really good, however the LED conversion for those is $300
You could substitute led bulbs in place of an led conversion.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
The LED replacement bulbs just don't do it for me, back up lights need to light up where you are going. I want a wide angle beam similar to a flashlight (clue).
Got some things in the works that will either exchange one of my red tail lights with a back up light or an inconspicuous one under the bumper and leave my tail lights as they are.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
So I started out with some a pair of clear clearance lights and a pair of trailer back up lights as well as the LED light fixture. Took the clearance light apart and drilled out the light socket rivets and base for the bulb was ground down. I tried using a screw to hold the bracket to the base but it interfered with the LED panel, rivets took care of that problem. The lenses from the trailer lights were just the right size and went together nicely. These will first be mounted to the bumper bracket bolt if I have enough clearance, fingers crossed.100_4140.JPG 100_4141.JPG 100_4142.JPG 100_4143.JPG 100_4144.JPG 100_4145.JPG 100_4146.JPG 100_4147.JPG 100_4148.JPG 100_4149.JPG

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Just a heads up, I am posting a wanted ad for any stainless steel bumper someone wants to get rid of, can be damaged or not.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Here is a look at a full rear bumper and you can see the preliminary backup light location. They will actuall be recessed more towards the body and tucked under the bumper more.

Attachments

• 20191125_122804.jpg
    20191125_122804.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 38

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Looking Good Guy!! .... Wished I had some SS bumps ... They'd be yours, I'll assume there lighter and probably a little easier to straighten if hit and no re-chrome ... just a fine hand at polishing them back up. My Pop always said "opinions" are like rear-ends .. everyone has one and they all look a little different, but what comes out of 'em is all the same cr@p. :D .... encouragement is valued in all friendships!

..... David

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Here is a shot of the how the front will look. The Fog lights will probably get moved to a position under the bumper.

Attachments

• 20191125_122745.jpg
    20191125_122745.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 41

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I would think he's looking for stainless steel bumpers so he can cut them up and re-weld them the way he wants without having to re-chrome them. I like the idea.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Looking Good Guy!! .... Wished I had some SS bumps ... They'd be yours, I'll assume there lighter and probably a little easier to straighten if hit and no re-chrome ... just a fine hand at polishing them back up. My Pop always said "opinions" are like rear-ends .. everyone has one and they all look a little different, but what comes out of 'em is all the same cr@p. :D .... encouragement is valued in all friendships!

..... David
Thanks David!
I already bought a pair of bumpers hence I need one more to make two longer ones.Thanks for the encouragement.
Guy

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I would think he's looking for stainless steel bumpers so he can cut them up and re-weld them the way he wants without having to re-chrome them. I like the idea.
John,
You are absolutely right, that is exactly what I am doing. After trying on the Corvette split bumpers that interfered with the exhaust (didn't want to redo that) I decided to keep it one piece front and back.
Guy

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I like the idea of electric power rack and pinion for sure, one thing I did notice on the S2000 is that the rack is mounted actually too far back in a way that the tie rod ends are angled forward. Hopefully there is enough room to shorten the tie rod ends or have new ones made. As far as the rear suspension goes, found a company called Dutchman that will shorten the half shafts for less than a hundred bucks! Sweet deal.
On a side note for some reason I am not getting any email notifications to this post so please excuse the delay in answering.
I have been following your build with great interest more work than I would want to take on

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Gordon, as you know from following this build the original idea was to just put the S2000 drivetrain into a Sunbeam Alpine. After more research it turned out to be more favorable to go the other way and put the body on the Honda S2000 chassis. After some progress and seeing the benefits of all the modern features like ABS, 4 wheel independent suspension, Electric Power Steering, Cruise Control, Air Conditioning, Electric Windows, Electric trunk opener, Air Bags, 6 speed transmission. That wasn't enough for me LOL, I needed that extra WOW factor and that is why I went with the Power Retractable Hard Top from a later model Miata. Once that decison was made there was no looking back and the hardest part of that modification was simply the windshield header and sorting out the windows.
Happy New Year