• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Steve at Ol Phartz Partz has built all my SS brake lines, and will make them anyway you want, my rear lines have Mazda and Sunbeam style ends on the same line so I have no adapters.
Steve Christiansen
Ol Phartz Partz
949-716-2569 Office
714-686-1236 Cell
www.olphartz.com
schris51@att.net

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I want to use stainless braded brake lines on my Alpine they don’t expand and I like a firm pedal. Who did you order them from?

All brake hose expands (volumetric expansion) under pressure, the only question is how much.

As I have previously posted, the volumetric expansion data I have seen does not support the idea that stainless steel braided brake hose has lower volumetric expansion than typical "production" brake hose which is braided (reinforced) with PVA filament. No doubt that SS braided brake hose looks cool and has high cut resistance, but "show me the data" for volumetric expansion.

Last edited:

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
It is not only about "volumetric expansion".
I am more concerned about the hose deterioration and cracking, leaking etc.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
It is not only about "volumetric expansion".
I am more concerned about the hose deterioration and cracking, leaking etc.

Agreed that it is not only about volumetric expansion, but that is the only issue you raised in your previous post.

I also ordered some stainless steel braided brake lines. Nobody likes a spongy pedal when it comes to brakes.

Last edited:

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I ended up getting them ordered from Summitracing.com
The link is here:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-684490/overview/year/2003/make/honda/model/s2000
When this project first started, I had a hard time finding good brake lines for the Alpine/Tiger. All that could be gotten at that time were new rubber ones from Brazil I think. Good quality, good price, slow shipping at best, unfortunately after that purchase my spam emails went through the roof. Got that under control, but what a PITA.
For the Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger steel braided brake lines you might look into these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Piece-St...009985?hash=item5206d60e81:g:PjYAAOSwPyZamvE0

There may be others out there that I am not aware of. Possibly other members on here can chime in on this if they have found something better. I will also be sure to upgrade all the brake fluid with LMA high heat fluid.
There are SS brake lines available from just about every where. Earl's Indy, Jegs,Wilwood,Goodrich to name a few.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Today was spent moving the air pump higher to make room for the brake ducting and more work on the passenger side sheet metal forward of the tire to the front center. Holiday tomorrow so I won't see any parts until Tuesday. Tomorrow will be spent mostly welding and metal fabrication. I also need to get over to TAP Plastic for materials to close the radiator chamber.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Here's a couple of shots of the air pump in its new location (raised about 8"). This will give me plenty of room for the brake ducts.Air Pump 1 (1).jpg Air Pump 1 (2).jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Well, initially it looked good until I turned the wheels the opposite direction and saw interference, hence the change in mounting location. The inner fender liner did not need much trimming to make it work. I will also modify the brace near the air pump that appears to be pinching one of the hoses. By moving it back I gained clearance from the sway bar and tie rod boot. Will fab up a permanent bracket to solve this. It was so close that I had to try it!Duct Temp. Solution.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
As you can see in the picture above the mounting point had to be moved back. Got it done so the trimming of the upper bracket moving forward can be addressed. Good clearance above the roll bar and no binding of the tie rod. I also got started on the hose mounts for the front of the car. Could not find anything I liked so made my own IMG_20191016_121832.jpg IMG_20191016_133629.jpg IMG_20191016_110510.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Finished up the air inlet fittings with the screen to keep debris out. The stainless wire is so fine, have to be very careful not to burn through. Now I can focus on the inlet to the ducts I just installed.

Attachments

• IMG_20191016_110517.jpg
    IMG_20191016_110517.jpg
    575.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20191016_113017.jpg
    IMG_20191016_113017.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20191016_143944.jpg
    IMG_20191016_143944.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 22

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Hey Guy ... Looks like your making alot of progress ... any full body shots? ... like to see the overall progress! ... Just a little info on the headlight rims that was discussed in an earlier thread. http://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/sunbeam-2000-build.23815/page-13 .... I picked up a set of Singer Gazelle headlight rims and though my hdltes. and bucket are off the car these look to fit the Alpines lines very well! ... I'll try and get one together and on the car and post some pic.s of it or I'll pop one off my 62 and fit it which I think will be all I'll have time for. ... The Rapier and Gazelle are so similar you wouldn't think there would be a difference. ...

.... David

Bingo! .... Looks to be a perfect fit ...

Attachments

• Singer hdlte.rims on 62 005.JPG
    Singer hdlte.rims on 62 005.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Singer hdlte.rims on 62 004.JPG
    Singer hdlte.rims on 62 004.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Singer hdlte.rims on 62 001.JPG
    Singer hdlte.rims on 62 001.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Singer hdlte.rims on 62 003.JPG
    Singer hdlte.rims on 62 003.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Singer hdlte.rims on 62 006.JPG
    Singer hdlte.rims on 62 006.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 29

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
David, those are NICE!
Eric hooked me up with some stock rims so I can get rid of the Jeep Chrome ones that I bought before. Once I get the car back on the ground, will get some full body shots. It is still rough and not presentable, worked on it all day today and made some good progress. Started to put the front end together, here is a prelim shot of how it will look. I did not have time to put the bumper back on.IMG_20191016_125239.jpg IMG_20191016_150107.jpg IMG_20191016_150256.jpg IMG_20191017_105250.jpg IMG_20191019_163420.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
All the air ducts are done, just waiting for the flexible hoses to the back of the rotors. Finally got the steel braided brake lines, what a PITA Russell aka Edelbrock is to deal with. I will think twice before ever ordering from them again. It took them 7 DAYS to send something on their shelf from SoCal to NorCal. Anyway the front end is coming along nicely, after some sanding I can post some pics that are presentable.Duct forward.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
ALL brake hose expands (volumetric expansion) under pressure, the only question is how much.

As I have previously posted, the volumetric expansion data I have seen does not support the idea that stainless steel braided brake hose has lower volumetric expansion than typical "production" brake hose which is braided (reinforced) with PVA filament. No doubt that SS braided brake hose looks cool and has high cut resistance, but "show me the data" for volumetric expansion.

Good info

http://norflexmexico.com/pdfs/test.pdf

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Man, the headlight portion of these fenders are killing me. Out of round, not flat, it is taking a long time to get them right. Should have it solved tomorrow.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
As you may have noticed, took a little break. Got the air duct hoses installed as well as well as the front braided stainless steel brake hoses. Took the nephew out for a spin the other night and experienced some fuel starving. Need to check the fuel strainer in the tank, also found a blown fuse for the dome light and trunk light. Will get those things sorted out and back on the body sanding.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Coming right along ... lot'z of work and time spent in all the little details!! ... Keeping my grapes peeled ta see all the work in progress and it's final completion ..

.... David

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
David,
Thanks for your patience, me too! Just got back from the Chiropractor after an "adjustment" The project has come a long way and yes the little details do take a long time. If you go back through this thread you can see how much time I spent on the tail light housings. The top of the grill will need that done as well since it is a raw stainless steel bar that was bent to shape. The boot "trunk" opens gently by itself from midway to fully open, the gas shock mounts at the rear where the tank bracket mounts. Will have to make a video so you can see it in action.
Guy