• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
It is not easy the past few days, yesterday was a late start because of my Vertigo. Mostly working under an outdoor tarp for shade and stopping early when it just gets too hot to focus. Working on the trunk extension now to get the back half of the car done and move on to the front sheet metal work and finish up the grill. Here are a couple of pics of the trunk extension I put on today.

Attachments

• boot extension1.jpg
    boot extension1.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 35
  • boot extension2.jpg
    boot extension2.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 34

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Just finished fitting the new valance filler piece by hand (Phew). Still needs work to match it, but for now it is pretty close. (pretty close is not good enough!) Yes the trunk extension was formed by hand also.
Ha!

Attachments

• Rear Valance.jpg
    Rear Valance.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I could not help myself, had to take it out around the block today. Didn't even get half a block and a policeman was going the other way, he didn't bother me. Sure feels good having all this power and fantastic brakes!

Attachments

• Driver side day out.jpg
    Driver side day out.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 60
  • rear view day out.jpeg
    rear view day out.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 58

ryanneptune

Donation Time
What a small world . I was talking to Brian a Tiger guy in Costa Mesa and he said he sold a rear clip to a fellow dropping a Alpine body on a S2000. There was a S2000 powered Alpine at Sacramento United.as well . Sorry I don't have a picture. Nice young couple from Idaho as I recall.

Back on the headlight rings. It seems a right of passage to loose a clip on ring then try out a chrome set cause it's easier then painting em. I lost one 2 weeks into my second Tiger at 90 mph changed lanes and the Bots dots shook one off. Needless to say I don't trust clip ons anymore and convert them ASAP.
Yes it was from Boise, Idaho actually... and its now roughly roughly 600HP after the turbo and I say that because I tuned each gear now separately to keep the wheels from spinning "too" much 1st gear has no more than 350HP and each gear jumps near 100HP. it runs 50/50 front to back wheels. I truly am shooting for another project exactly like this one... but stronger, cleaner, and way too fast and agile for any Tiger. I won't be doing any more upgrades to this one as it was my Dads and I refuse to modify anything on this car that can't be factory reversed as I still have 100% of the Stock Alpine stored. (Although I never will) This car is truly a Neptune-Martin Sunbeam

Attachments

• x8PxbE%TSVy%dowo47wbeQ.jpg
    x8PxbE%TSVy%dowo47wbeQ.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 38

ryanneptune

Donation Time
Aaaagh!! Beautiful!!! But how did you mash your nose trim?

Love that Blueee!
I was trying to squeeze it into a back room of my shop a few years ago and I already had my grandpas 1926 model T in there and I was trying to to do without anyone helping and bumped into my tool box

ryanneptune

Donation Time
Now that is some serious horsepower with only 4 Cylinders! Thanks ryanneptume
Ya that engine with the right tune and the right turbo is what makes it such a common short track racer these days having the ecu tuner give you all the options without breaking the motor and if I do pop the motor it would take 4 hours to swap a new one and with 2 step tuning it’s scary fast off the line, turbo is way better than supercharger ... there are a ton of racers I have tapped into that use this engine in there cars and most just short circuit the vetch and keep it permanently in vetch mode

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I have never heard anything bad about these motors with the exception of price. What size turb did you use on that motor? That is something I want to do down the road after getting it registered as a special construction vehicle (California).

ryanneptune

Donation Time
I have never heard anything bad about these motors with the exception of price. What size turb did you use on that motor? That is something I want to do down the road after getting it registered as a special construction vehicle (California).
Right now I’m twinned with a 28 feeding a 40 but I might just take it back to the 28 only as I don’t like the fabrication look and the wastegate is weird with both but the power is all time spooling under the 3k range until you force the ecu to think differently

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Trunk latch is in place and good to go. Spent the rest of the day cleaning up the work area and bending some pipe.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
late start because of my Vertigo. Mostly working under an outdoor tarp for shade and stopping early when it just gets too hot to focus.

Doctor Quack says, possibly the vertigo symptoms could be mistaken for the making of a heat stroke. Working in the heat under a tarp could lead to a very bad situation.

Suffering from vertigo is not a nice feeling at all. Some people describe or mistake it for just feeling dizzy and light-headed, but it’s much more than that.

Prolonged exposure to the sun can result in dizziness, primarily due to harmful UV rays and excessive heat. Heat stroke can make an individual feel as though the world around them is spinning. Lightheadedness can be accompanied by blurred vision and ringing in the ears. In extreme cases, the person may lose consciousness.

Search for: symptoms and causes of (Vertigo) or (Heat Stroke)

Off subject but thought it may be a word of caution....Just hoping you get to finish your project....

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan, I really appreciate your thoughts.
I can usually tell when I lay my head down on the pillow at night, something will not feel right and sure enough the next morning I have it. Recently had good luck with Dramamine type of meds, it does help. This is the first time for me to get it while standing up. In the past it was only felt when I was laying down or flat on the floor doing stretching exercises. From what I understand about Vertigo, it has something to do with a "stone" we have in our inner ear. A tiny piece can come off and throw you off balance and cause you to have Vertigo. Working on my back under the car has been the worst, it almost makes me nauseous, so I keep that to a minimum.
So today the mail man brought me the gas springs for the trunk, was waiting of those to finish up the trunk hinges, seals and gaps. In the meantime it was realized that the roll bar that was built, I could not use. It landed right in the middle of the rear window and I could see that I could have made it much higher to the point that you would not even see it from behind the car. This also gives me a chance to reinforce the top hinge mounting points and tie them into the center of the car as well as the roll bar. Now if I could just remember when the heck I put the seat belts!
LOL

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Each day is getting better, worked on the honey do list today. Will get back to it tomorrow, decided to move the car into the garage and work on it there while keeping the doors open so there is some sort of breeze. Still have not found the seat belts!

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Roll bar hoop is tacked in place, will finish welding it up tomorrow and get it painted. That will be one more thing off the list. The gas springs for the trunk are very strong, looks like I will only need one. Because it is so strong I need to reinforce the mounting of the hinges so there is no flexing.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Roll bar is finished, will let the paint dry overnight before final install with pictures to follow. I am very happy with the fit as it will hardly be noticeable unless the Power Retractable Hard Top is lowered. Also was able to keep the factory storage compartment that holds a power plug and hidden trunk release in it's original position.