• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Peter ... Does that mean the later series Rapiers IV and V with the "all" chromed rims fit any series Alpines?

.... David

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Shops that specialize in restoring Alpines / Tigers have found that it's better to fit the headlight buckets and rims prior to painting. This allows the fitting of the rims to the body and having a smooth transition from body to rim.Then they remove the buckets and rims and paint the rims as separate units. This allows the bucket to retain it's original black color. Another trick I learned from Doug @ Tiger Auto is that if you have the buckets set and ready to install the rims is to turn the rim off center and turn the bucket to slide the top bracket of the rim behind the attaching point of the bucket. This prevents the bending of both the rim bracket and the bucket bracket.

Okay,
Was not sure how to interpret what you learned from Doug.

Be aware of the fact that the rims from Rapiers I was refering to are the rims from the Rapier series IV and V and not from the earlier Rapiers as is shown in the picture which SoCal'beaming provided in his last post.

Regards,

Peter

Yes,
The ones I am getting from Eric are Alpine rims.
Guy

pruyter

Donation Time
I am not sure if the Series IV and V Rapier rims are fitting Alpine/Tigers, but they are surely looking quite similar. I own both a Sunbeam Tiger and a Series IV Sunbeam Rapier and I bought my Tiger in England fitted with non standard chrome rims. Looking to the rims of both cars I don't see a difference, but I can't guarantee that they are exactly the same.

Regards,

Peter

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I was hoping they'd(Rapier) fit as I liked the small chrome accent on the rims and they'd add to the side trim. I've seen them on a couple Alpines in photo's, not sure if they had been custom fitted or they came off another Rootes car ... maybe a Singer? The peaked stock rims chromed in my option are a little to much shine for my taste. ... and I love CHROME!

... David
I was hoping they'd(Rapier) fit as I liked the small chrome accent on the rims and they'd add to the side trim. I've seen them on a couple Alpines in photo's, not sure if they had been custom fitted or they came off another Rootes car ... maybe a Singer? The peaked stock rims chromed in my option are a little to much shine for my taste. ... and I love CHROME!

... David

The teal car on the home page looks good with the chrome rims, but they don't fit 100% and you are not seeing the grill and bumper. By themselves they look good.

pruyter

Donation Time
Hi David,

In the meantime I did some more research and I have seen in the original Rootes brochures which I own that also the Hillman Husky and Singer Gazelle Estate had chrome rims. Rather strange that the estate cars had chrome rims while the saloons had painted rims. Anyhow those rings look very similar to the rims of the Alpine/Tigers and knowing that Rootes did a lot of badge engineering in order to save costs it should not surprise me that these parts were exchangeable between different Rootes cars.

Regards,

Peter

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks Peter ... must have been the Singer ones I saw on an Alpine and not the Rapiers. Had a 56' Husky years ago but it had the painted ones.

The Singer Gazelle with the chrome "eyebrow" headlight rims would be my choice Guy .... that is if they fit and carry the same top line as the Alpines.

.... David

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
WooHoo!
All lights front and rear are finally working. The fog/driving lights I bought had a blue and white wire, for some reason they are using the white wire for 12V+ and the blue is ground. So strange, cost me two fuses to figure that out.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I did some prep work on the drivers side quarter panel and found a ton of body filler :-(
We came down to Socal for a nephew's graduation and will come home with a better rear clip. Cough, Couph, air quality here is no good. You could see it as we approached.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Just got back from Palm Springs, Riverside and Newport Beach with another rear clip. I was able to separate the passenger side quarter panel as one unit. Today I will do the drivers side and discard the rest. As you can see in the first pic the lip and side leaves alot to be desired.

Attachments

• IMG_20190619_091540.jpg
    IMG_20190619_091540.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20190619_091527.jpg
    IMG_20190619_091527.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 71

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Jim,
Thanks for the heads up, will do. I was able to remove the drivers side gas tank and qaurter panel. Time to measure and splice together. Again!!!!!
The fun never ends.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I am treating the inside of the quarter panels so they will not rust. The metal on these cars is like nothing else I have worked with. Way ahead of their time.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I have most of the drivers side panel painted on the inside, will start putting it back together tomorrow.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
What a small world . I was talking to Brian a Tiger guy in Costa Mesa and he said he sold a rear clip to a fellow dropping a Alpine body on a S2000. There was a S2000 powered Alpine at Sacramento United.as well . Sorry I don't have a picture. Nice young couple from Idaho as I recall.

Back on the headlight rings. It seems a right of passage to loose a clip on ring then try out a chrome set cause it's easier then painting em. I lost one 2 weeks into my second Tiger at 90 mph changed lanes and the Bots dots shook one off. Needless to say I don't trust clip ons anymore and convert them ASAP.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Warren, it is a small world. I was going to Riverside for a nephews graduation and for the heck of it checked Craigslist for parts in that area. That is when I started to talking to Brian (hell of a good guy) and decided to drive my truck down there to pick it up from him. Sorry to hear about your headlight rim, just looked at the ones I bought and it looks like there is a screw at the bottom to hold them in place?

Attachments

• rear clip.jpg
    rear clip.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 36

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks most headlight rings have been drilled for the later style. I feel worse for the car that took it on the chin at 70 MPH
Brian has been a Tiger owner since the 70's

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I have always been facinated with the Tigers, but what kept me away from them was the steering geometry and sudden oversteer.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I am repairing the drivers side wheel house before I put the quarter panel on as the car was hit on that side. All welded up and sealed against the body, now need to finish the outside that will attach to the lip of the wheel opening.

Attachments

• IMG_20190701_110227.jpg
    IMG_20190701_110227.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20190701_110158.jpg
    IMG_20190701_110158.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 36

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Outer wheelhouse is done and ready for the quarter panel to be fitted. I was able to get it to line up with the wheel opening perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_20190705_115317.jpg
    IMG_20190705_115317.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 35

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Coming along well so far, test fitting the quarter panel. You can see that I had to "stretch" the wheel opening a bit for the larger diameter tires.

Attachments

• IMG_20190707_124357.jpg
    IMG_20190707_124357.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 25