• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Console done and installed!

Attachments

• IMG_20190512_115136.jpg
    IMG_20190512_115136.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20190512_115118.jpg
    IMG_20190512_115118.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20190512_120608.jpg
    IMG_20190512_120608.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 55

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
The exhaust system is final by taking a Flowmaster™ muffler and cutting in half diaganally and stuffing them with stainless steel wool. Nice sound and little back pressure. One baffle was sacrificed, but I am happy with the result.

Attachments

• 100_4129.JPG
    100_4129.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_4130.JPG
    100_4130.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_4131.JPG
    100_4131.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_4132.JPG
    100_4132.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 53

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Currently working on the roll bar. In the begining I was trying to use the stock roll bars with all the plastic around them as well as speakers in the hoop area. Tried to modify them to work but in the end they are just too bulky and didn't have the room for them, hence going with a convetional roll bar keeping the mounting as much as original without drilling any holes. This will also allow me to keep the storage compartment that fits between the seats that houses a trunk release button (yes the trunk is high tech) and a power plug for charging phone etc.

Attachments

• 100_4128.JPG
    100_4128.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 44

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I have been busy trying to figure out how to change from HID headlights to Halogen or LED what a PITA! Finally figured it out, parts are on the way. In the meantime started working on the grill and surround, it is going to be so cool, hope you guys will like it. Off to Spain, Portugal and France for a little R&R
Back soon.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a question for the experts please. 1967 and 1968 Alpine, did they have painted or chrome headlight rims?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Painted dome/peaked I believe the chrome was optional.. Stay tuned lots of guys will help you better than I,

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks DanR, it is a bit confusing to me when I search images of the peaked, all the chrome ones label them as "Tiger". At the same time, Alpines are seen with chrome.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
As I understand all Alpine peaked eye lids were painted , I used a set of chrome ones but they came off a Hillman Super minx.

pruyter

Donation Time
Not one of the Alpines nor one of the Tigers came with chrome headlight rims! Only the Series Rapiers came with chrome headlight rims.

Regards,

Peter

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you Peter,
I am not sure how I feel about having Chrome Series Rapiers on an Alpine. Might be too much chrome up front. You already have the bumper and grill that is bright. My only concern is if the car is painted with them on and you install the headlights after they may be damage to the paint.
Guy

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Tried the Rapier headlight rims with the chrome eyebrow on my 67' rescue(had a nos set) they didn't fit quite right, a little larger then the Alpines.

.... David

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
David,
Thanks for confirming that. Did you feel the Chrome headlight rims was a bit too much shine up front?
Guy

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
I was hoping they'd(Rapier) fit as I liked the small chrome accent on the rims and they'd add to the side trim. I've seen them on a couple Alpines in photo's, not sure if they had been custom fitted or they came off another Rootes car ... maybe a Singer? The peaked stock rims chromed in my option are a little to much shine for my taste. ... and I love CHROME!

... David

Attachments

• 63 rapier hd.lte.rims 013.JPG
    63 rapier hd.lte.rims 013.JPG
    241.9 KB · Views: 32

65beam

Donation Time
Thank you Peter,
I am not sure how I feel about having Chrome Series Rapiers on an Alpine. Might be too much chrome up front. You already have the bumper and grill that is bright. My only concern is if the car is painted with them on and you install the headlights after they may be damage to the paint.
Guy
Shops that specialize in restoring Alpines / Tigers have found that it's better to fit the headlight buckets and rims prior to painting. This allows the fitting of the rims to the body and having a smooth transition from body to rim.Then they remove the buckets and rims and paint the rims as separate units. This allows the bucket to retain it's original black color. Another trick I learned from Doug @ Tiger Auto is that if you have the buckets set and ready to install the rims is to turn the rim off center and turn the bucket to slide the top bracket of the rim behind the attaching point of the bucket. This prevents the bending of both the rim bracket and the bucket bracket.

65beam

Donation Time
Install the bucket including the adjustment bucket which fits inside the bucket with the rubber gasket between the bucket and body first, Install the head light bulb and the ring that holds it and then the rim.

pruyter

Donation Time
Be aware of the fact that the rims from Rapiers I was refering to are the rims from the Rapier series IV and V and not from the earlier Rapiers as is shown in the picture which SoCal'beaming provided in his last post.

Regards,

Peter