• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

subframe

malcolmmuirhead

Donation Time
dropped the subfame on my series 3 for restoration today and have some questions for people in the know.
the shims were upside down ie the u shape was facing upwards is this the norm.the subframe wedges were badly corroded.wondered what material are they made out of as the corrosion has left a grey powder behind.the parts suppliers in the uk dont seem to stock them.the last question is when i ordered the fulcrum pins for the restoration they did not come with the seals,coller or cap and wondered if there is a seperate kit for this.
regards
malky:confused:

skywords

Donation Time
Sub frame is crossmember? The crossmember shims are aluminum and there should be plenty of them out there used and servicable for as many crossmembers as people have lying about. I don't remember but are they tapered? I may have some I can look if you like. Not sure about seals on the fulcrums but I may have some caps.

malcolmmuirhead

Donation Time
will re use the caps and have ordered grease nipples.just wondering can i get away with installing the new fulcrum pin without the two rubber washers?.

mikephillips

Donation Time
The best bet for finding good castor shims is to look in a dry location like the US southwest. What happens to them in most other locations is dissimiliar metal corrosion where they become a sacrificial metal, like zinc parts on a ship's hull. This is aggrievated by being exposed to moisture as most were during their years as regular use cars.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Anyone have a new-ish set we can get good dimensions from?
I could make some up out of aluminum or steel if they're not available.

Ken

skywords

Donation Time
You can try Dave Green with Az Highbeams our Az publication here in the southwest.

High Beams
Newsletter for the Arizona Sunbeamers
Volume 3 Number 1
February 2008
For additions to High Beams contact the editor below
Contact Dave Green @113 S. Avenida Planeta Tucson, Az. 85710 520-7472901 alpdavegre@msn.com

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Malcolm - I have a cross member from a dismantled Alpine which has a good set of shims. It is correct for the raised part to face upwards, as this bears on the underside of the chassis frame. If you can't get hold of any replacements in the UK, I can let you have the dimensions to have some made. But first try contacting the various Alpine parts suppliers for a secondhand pair or put a wanted ad. in the Horn (assuming you are a UK SAOC member).

Steve