• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stuck driver side rear drum brake on my SIV

Scott Rodrigues

Donation Time
So I went through and change the tires today and all of my tires spin freely except for the rear driver side. The car is not in gear (I can cycle it 8nto all 4 gears and neutral without pressing the clutch, if that helps) and the e-brake is down. It has me really baffled. What could it be and what can I do to unstick it? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just to clarify, when Billm says "release the adjuster" he means crank the adjuster star wheel inside the brake hub to loosen the brake shoes from the drum. Most likely you will need to access that adjuster from the backside. If the drum were free to rotate you could rotate it until the hole in the drum lines up with the star wheel adjuster. ( assuming your SV has the self adjusting brakes). See figs 2 and 3 on pages K2-11-13 here:
http://www.rootes1725cc.info/wsm145/WSM145_K-Frames.htm

Or you may have the non self adjusting rear brakes so the adjuster is accessed on the back plate. See pages K2-29-30 in the same ref.

On edit: Oops, SIV, so no self adjusting rear brakes and no star wheel. But adjuster accessible on back plate. See pages 8-9 of WSM 124, Section K:
http://sunbeamalpine.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/13-Brakes-K.pdf

Tom

Last edited:

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Interesting that your SV's brake apparently self-adjusted itself into an overtight position. Usually the stars on the self-adjusters get worn or rusted to the point that the owner has to tighten them himself - and sometimes overdoes it. How had the brakes worked before? I'd check the return springs and maybe replace them on general principal if they look original. If the springs go just a little bit soft, the brakes will bind up and not release on their own without extra pumping on the pedal. (Whoops! I read your bio/posts instead of the thread title. Thought you had a SV. But same advice applies re brake springs)

Last edited:

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Interesting that your SV's brake apparently self-adjusted itself into an overtight position. Usually the stars on the self-adjusters get worn or rusted to the point that the owner has to tighten them himself - and sometimes overdoes it. How had the brakes worked before? I'd check the return springs and maybe replace them on general principal if they look original. If the springs go just a little bit soft, the brakes will bind up and not release on their own without extra pumping on the pedal.
There are handed springs with self adjusting brakes I have just gone through series v self adjusting brakes no locking tabs for the wheel cyl and no retractor spring locked up r r wheel finally with the help of the blue wrench got everything apart

Scott Rodrigues

Donation Time
What tool should I use to turn the square bolt? I've tried pliers and a socket wrench and the damn thing wont move :/. For clarity sake, I'm turning it counter clockwise. Nothing yet :(

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
What tool should I use to turn the square bolt? I've tried pliers and a socket wrench and the damn thing wont move :/. For clarity sake, I'm turning it counter clockwise. Nothing yet :(
I have a series v You seem to have a series 4 when you remove the wheel look on the back of the brake backing plate at the top there is a square bolt clean the area if it is rusted spray a penetrating lube like pb blaster let it soak The square head of the adjuster is if I remember is 5/16

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve, Neat idea!
Gordon, Good advice. But see the Subject on the post- S IV :) I made the same error - see the last sentence of my post #3.

Tom

Scott Rodrigues

Donation Time
Update: So I sprayed PB Blaster literally everywhere and now the drum cover has some movement. The bottom wants to come off and the top moves but it's like the top is stopping it somehow.

I got the 1/4" socket, twisted counter-clockwise and twisted the allan wrench! It does not move at all. Tried a socket wrench before that and it wouldn't move, either. Is there a step, something I missed or need to undo/remove first?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Counter clockwise should loosen / remove the "wedge" adjuster. Let the blaster soak more. Try some heat. It's a long threaded shaft (lots of thread) , and lots of opportunity to rust and freeze. Try a larger 1/4" socket and a bigger allen wrench.