• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stromberg?

Steeman01

Donation Time
Hi everyone! I've had my Sunbeam since September and I rebuilt my carburetors last fall and one of them had some pretty messed up threading and it's work until now. Now the bottom of the carb leaks where the threading is for the main jet that was mangled. I need to either get a bottom section of a Stromberg or an entirely new carburetor. It's the most forward carburetor of the dual set up.

Anybody looking to sell one?

I am based in So Cal.

Thanks.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Hi everyone! I've had my Sunbeam since September and I rebuilt my carburetors last fall and one of them had some pretty messed up threading and it's work until now. Now the bottom of the carb leaks where the threading is for the main jet that was mangled. I need to either get a bottom section of a Stromberg or an entirely new carburetor. It's the most forward carburetor of the dual set up.

Anybody looking to sell one?

I am based in So Cal.

Thanks.
The main jet has a o-ring that should seal regardless of the threads, did you replace it?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I did. I did a full rebuild with all new gaskets and rubber.
Consider that your problem may not be directly from the threads. The lower cover has a smooth area for the o-ring to seal on, this must be smooth in order to seal along with the correct size and thickness o-ring on the main jet.
The o-rings tend to shrink, even in a box (volatiles evaporate from the rubber).
Getting a new lower cover should not be tough, but it seems to me you have another problem (and your threads may also be messed up too).

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
How many turns out are you on the adjustment screws?

When I had original 5M metering needles, I was running too lean with modern fuel with ethanol. I think I had went to over 4 turns out in an attempt to make the mixture more rich. With the adjustment screw that far out, I had a leak at the front carb's adjustment screw. I ended up switching to a richer 6J metering needle. (I believe the 6J needle was used on 2.0 liter engines.) I'm back to under 3 turns out with the 6J needle and no leak now. So as Jarrid mentioned, I must have had a seal issue with the o-ring when the adjustment screw was turned so far out. The o-ring was probably beyond the smooth area.

Mike

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I did. I did a full rebuild with all new gaskets and rubber.

The minute you said the threading was borked on it, I'd replace it. It's just safer from a piece of mind standpoint to just junk it than play the 'It's full of gas, the threads are borked but the -rubber- piece still seals it' game just above a very hot manifold... That's DANGEROUS af.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The minute you said the threading was borked on it, I'd replace it. It's just safer from a piece of mind standpoint to just junk it than play the 'It's full of gas, the threads are borked but the -rubber- piece still seals it' game just above a very hot manifold... That's DANGEROUS af.
The threads are to raise and lower the jet and has nothing to do with the seal. If its leaking its not becuase of borked threads, its due to surface finish or corrosion in the housing or bad sealing surface for the o-ring or the o-ring itself is wrong or shrunk.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
I think we may need further clarification from the original poster on what is being described as "messed up threading". There are threads to screw the jet assembly into the body of the carb and of course there are threads for the adjuster screw into the jet assembly. If the threads are bad in the body, the o-rings may not resolve it and a replacement lower carb body would be required. It is said that the upper carb and lower carb components should be kept as a matching pair as original, although I have no knowledge to know if this is as critical as is suggested. If the threads are bad in the jet assembly, a replacement assembly should resolve it.

I have spares of all of this if you need it.

Rick

Attachments

• cd150a.jpg
    cd150a.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 18
  • cd150b.jpg
    cd150b.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 19

Steeman01

Donation Time
Hey everyone, I was able to tighten the threads to prevent the leaking. I'm still going to be in the market to replace the carburetor and I feel more comfortable with a carburetor that doesn't have messed up threads, so I am good with the leak, it clearly wasn't tighten all the way. Thanks!

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
The threads are to raise and lower the jet and has nothing to do with the seal. If its leaking its not becuase of borked threads, its due to surface finish or corrosion in the housing or bad sealing surface for the o-ring or the o-ring itself is wrong or shrunk.

I don't think that's what he's talking about unless I totally misread it. The way I read it, the threading on the bottom half of the carb is mangled and it won't seal. In that case, you have to junk it, no amount of rubber is going to safely fix that. I've had several issues with Strombergs and just said forget it and went with Webers. Never been happier.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I think we may need further clarification from the original poster on what is being described as "messed up threading". There are threads to screw the jet assembly into the body of the carb and of course there are threads for the adjuster screw into the jet assembly. If the threads are bad in the body, the o-rings may not resolve it and a replacement lower carb body would be required. It is said that the upper carb and lower carb components should be kept as a matching pair as original, although I have no knowledge to know if this is as critical as is suggested. If the threads are bad in the jet assembly, a replacement assembly should resolve it.

I have spares of all of this if you need it.

Rick

This was what I was thinking too.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Hey everyone, I was able to tighten the threads to prevent the leaking. I'm still going to be in the market to replace the carburetor and I feel more comfortable with a carburetor that doesn't have messed up threads, so I am good with the leak, it clearly wasn't tighten all the way. Thanks!

I'm going to be that guy and suggest a 32/36 Weber as your next Carb. Really easy to set up (It took me a while to figure out because the shop I had install it did NOT set it and told me they did and.. well.. sometimes I'm oblivious lol. Lesson learned: Be your own mechanic.) and once you do, you're done.

Steeman01

Donation Time
I was able to temporarily prevent the leaking from the bottom of the carburetor, I know that the o-ring is the primary source for sealing that section. However having the mangled threads is not ideal and I think my fix is a short temporary solution and a new set up is in order, long term.

Steeman01

Donation Time
Hey @Scotty, that is the long-term plan however sunbeam specialties is currently unable to get the Weber carburetors until this October... So I will be ordering it but it won't be available for a few months.

Last edited:

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
You could check Classic Sunbeam as well. Their website does not show that it is out of stock, so he may have them.

Rick