• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stromberg warm start issues

Paul Archer

Donation Time
Having problems with some newly rebuilt Strombergs (stock 150 CDs) on my racing Alpine. Engine strong and easily when cold, but after running for even a short period of time, 3 minutes or so, refuses to restart. Seems to me this either caused by excessive heat or excessive fuel. Have a Holley fuel pressure regulator (just replaced) putting out about 3psi. There's no obvious gasoline smell after running. The exhaust manifold is wrapped and there is a heat shield installed underneath the carbs to attempt to minimize the heat around the carbs.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be, or experiments to try to help determine the problem ?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Paul,

The stock mechanical pump puts out about 1.75psi.

Stroms dont like much more then that or the floats overflow and will
overflow through the main jet into the intake, or worse yet into the air cleaners.

3psi is too much...

Paul Archer

Donation Time
Thanks, yes I thought fuel flow/pressure might be the issue. Actually running a Holley electric fuel pump with the regulator. The regulator is 1-4psi, but at least with the 0-15psi gauge I have on it, seems to not like to go below 3psi.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Any recommendation for a good low pressure fuel pump ?

Pep Boys sells a small low pressure facet pump, they are rated to 4 psi, but the one I bought will actually went to 8 (measured) at no flow. It might be a mfgr packaging mistake since they also sold an 8psi pump too.

Mr Gasket IIRC, 30ish$

in any case, its a decent pump but as with all electric fuel pumps, I would use a secondary regulator.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
What is everyone using for a regulator?

Stay the hell away from purilator, or any regulator that is round and flat and has a big chrome knob.

These are absolute junk and caused me all sorts of grief both sticking completely shut, and completely open on the same day.
Dont ask me how this is possible, but it was a persistent problem till I tossed it.

I installed a holley 12-804 regulator (1 to 4 psi).
It is soooo much better than the junk I was using.

I bought it on ebay from CarbDoc or something like that for $19 plus a few bucks for shipping.

Paul Archer

Donation Time
I use the Holley 1-4psi regulator also. Seems to work fine, but it would be nice to find a fuel pressure gauge with a similar range, it seems to me that 0-15psi gauges just aren't that useful for tuning in the 1-2psi range...