• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stock wiring for 1725 distributor ?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Have two wires from the stock 1725 distributor.... one is red and one is black. Can't find where they go, any help is appreciated.

Looked in shop manual but it only shows one wire (no color) to - side of coil nothing on the other.

Been too long since I fooled with the 4cyl's:) Trying to get my Colour Code 70 running again.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,
That sound like a pertronix unit inside the distributor. Usually, there is only one wire that runs from the coil to the distributor.
Sounds like yours has been modified with the Pertronix ignitor as they have a red and a black wire.

Post a picture when you have a chance.

Steve

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The stock setup is a white+black wire from the ignition coil negative connector to the distributor.

upload_2020-8-16_15-49-56.png

Mike

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Have two wires from the stock 1725 distributor.... one is red and one is black. Can't find where they go, any help is appreciated.

Looked in shop manual but it only shows one wire (no color) to - side of coil nothing on the other.

Been too long since I fooled with the 4cyl's:) Trying to get my Colour Code 70 running again.
Dan I have a perttronix dust. I will go check the wiring for it my instructions.
Solid core plug wires must not be used. Remove ballast resistor.
The red wire goes to switch + side of coil.black goes to - side of coil

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,
That sound like a pertronix unit inside the distributor. Usually, there is only one wire that runs from the coil to the distributor.
Sounds like yours has been modified with the Pertronix ignitor as they have a red and a black wire.

Post a picture when you have a chance.

Steve

Yep! Not stock!! That is what got me fooled.

Should have pulled the cap.20200816_160956.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
OK! Now Next question: Where do these 2 wires Circled in YELLOW in the picture connect for the Pertronix modified distributor? Do they join together?

Attachments

• Alpine Mike Hartman's Distributor and Coil wiring    upload_2020-8-16_15-49-56.png
    Alpine Mike Hartman's Distributor and Coil wiring upload_2020-8-16_15-49-56.png
    1 MB · Views: 25

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,

The wire on the left in the picture is the "run" wire. It is 'hot' when the ignition is in the Run or Start position. The wire on the right coming off the firewall in the picture is the "cold weather" starting wire. It only goes 'hot' when the starter solenoid closes during Start. The purpose of the cold weather wire is to by-pass the external ballast resistor during starting and provide full battery voltage to the ignition coil. The cold weather circuit is not shown on the wiring diagram, but apparently it was standard for cars going to regions with colder climates, such as North America.

I'm not familiar with the Pertronix setup, but if you will not be using an external ballast resistor, per Gordon, then I don't see a reason to hook up the cold weather wire. The "run" wire will supply the same voltage to the coil during starting, as there will be no external ballast resistor to drop the voltage provided to the coil.

Mike