• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stock vs Personalized vs Modified

alpine_64

Donation Time
. Apparently he also got dinged erroneously for an OD warning light that WAS correct.
Tom.. If this waa Brent SII... It may have had a correct series 3 or even IV style OD warning light....but a series II shouldnt have one at all...

Now stock vs factory correct seems like they should be the same...but stock seems like you can have period mods or later sunbeam parts
Same as having correct zenith and filters and cooling etc ...on a 1725 block... Or microcell adjustable seats in an si/ii .. Or GT wood dash etc

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Joel, Here's the reason I'd say your Alpine (Alger V8) would be Classified as a MODIFIED ALPINE:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STOCK: Engine Must be stock Alpine four-cylinder engine of 1492, 1592 or 1725 cc. displacement. Minor modifications to bring smaller displacement engines to Series V level are allowed.

PERSONLIZED: Any naturally aspirated Rootes fourcylinder engine. Weber carburetors or other bolt-on aftermarket equipment is allowed.

MODIFIED: No restriction

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had to scratch my head at my first Tigers United

when I saw "Stock" Tigers blowing the doors off Modified Tigers,

on the Auto-X track.

Then I was informed that LAT OPTIONS are considered STOCK!

OK then.... Stock gets a NEW definition....

...at least in some minds...

In my mind, STOCK means Factory Stock.

But hey, I'm a bit old fashion about things like that...

BTW, I THINK I know the reason LAT parts are considered Stock by some,

it has more to do with "results"/goals and EVERYTHING else is secondary.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Joel, Here's the reason I'd say your Alpine (Alger V8) would be Classified as a MODIFIED ALPINE:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STOCK: Engine Must be stock Alpine four-cylinder engine of 1492, 1592 or 1725 cc. displacement. Minor modifications to bring smaller displacement engines to Series V level are allowed.

PERSONLIZED: Any naturally aspirated Rootes fourcylinder engine. Weber carburetors or other bolt-on aftermarket equipment is allowed.

MODIFIED: No restriction
That's fine for competition, but how about show? Is two part paint "stock". Aftermarket wheels? Carpet? GM alternators? Driving lights?
Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Color and hue are deductions but only two points and one point respectively. The real problem is getting anybody to agree on anything.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
https://teae.org/alpine-series-stock-judging/
This is the stock judging guide that will be used at TEAE Uniteds.

https://teae.org/concours-autocross-rules/
This shows the differences between stock, modified and personalized.
Good that there's a 100 plus pages(concourse rules) to define the issues. and I notice the rules that you elude to are/have a 2019 date which touched on different classes that were never adhered to, at several United's where my car was not judged accordingly in my little pea brain, hence my comments. Another rant for the day!

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I champion the notion that concourse judgement about cars gets a heavy dose of subjectivity unlike an autocross race (either you have the fastest time or you don't). A competing show car's initial appearance often outweighs any judges eyesight as to "correctness." Judges do indeed try to align there understanding of written documents or photos. However, it is rare to find a judge to be "the" expert. We all put many hours and/or dollars into our passion for Sunbeams. To accept anyone's suggestion that our ride is less than worthy of an award is the peril one endures when entering into competition relying on the thoughts and understandings of humans. The judges try as best as they can to provide objective judgement. However, it is very difficult not to have that judgement sprinkled with an abundant dose of subjectivity. I for one know what I bring to a show and take pleasure in sharing my passion. To place my take away on the short comings of one or three sets of human eyes becomes a tunnel with no light. I can't see through the judges eyes. I choose not to criticize the judges. I choose to celebrate those that put the effort into bringing their ride to a car show and applaud the judges for giving there time to provide some possible insight to us, the owners.

Last edited: