• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stock Battery Box Hold down and ground

Eric R

Donation Time
I'm in the process of converting my Alpine IV to negative ground. While I'm at it I'd like to improve the battery hold down and ground. There is no hold down and I added a block of wood to keep the battery from sliding around. Does someone have a picture of a proper battery hold down along with how the ground wire is supposed to be run?

Thank you!

Eric R

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here's a good discussion on battery setups: http://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/battery-size.28492/

Post 16 shows how my battery is wired up on my negative ground series V. The positive battery hook up runs across the battery. I suspect your series IV setup had a shorter battery cable, since it went to the negative post on the battery. Then you would have a short chassis ground braided cable connected to the positive terminal. If so, you should be able to find group 24 batteries with the positive and negative posts swapped from my setup, allowing you to reuse your battery cable and chassis ground braided cable.

index.php

I have the stock battery hold down on my series V. It doesn't actually hold a group 24 battery down. You could fab a hold down. Or put a piece of rubber mat material above the battery to ensure you don't get a short on the compartment lid if the battery bounces up.

Mike

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have a stock battery hold down listed in the for sale section. It came out of a one-owner car.
There are some big rubber bolt through isolators you could use to put between that pictured stock hole down in the battery to keep it from moving back and forth. The Tigers used they're somewhat weak hold downs with a quarter-sawn mahogany so it really was never a hi tech or perfect fit.

Eric R

Donation Time
Thank you both.

Warren is this the hold down you are selling? How does it work? Do the pieces screw into the side of the battery box and then the rod goes over the top of the battery?
upload_2021-1-18_13-33-14.png