• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sterling Moss and making a Vizard Head modification

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
As we look back on the late Stirling Moss's racing career most all of us deem him as one the greatest drivers of all time. Even though he never won an overall motor vehicle World Championship he was the daily champion for those that had the pleasure of his company. A true sportsman ( like all SAOCA contibutors) always stepping up to help a fellow racer/enthusiast even to the extent that he lost a shot at winning the 1958 Formula One World Championship. What does this have to do with my Vizard modification to a 1725 Alpine head. It was through the Moss like contributions to this site that provided me the pathway to execute the Vizard conversion. An article by Bill Mohr (http://sunbeamalpine.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Vizard-Mod.pdf), supported by emails from Jim Ellis, allowed me to vision a Vizard alteration for my racing Alpine engine. Along with many other SAOCA member contributions, yesterday, I implemented the Vizard alteration. I still need to fill and drill the coolant passages.

My 1725 head with Vizard article on the work bench after alteration.
upload_2020-4-13_9-33-15.png

Closeup showing increased flow area around exhaust valve.
upload_2020-4-13_9-37-12.png

Note: In Mohr's article he speaks to the loading up of melted aluminum on a die grinder. Ten years ago I cutout the center section of an aluminum 5000 gallon water tank to make a 4000 gallon tender truck for wildfire fighting. At that time I learned a tip from a long time DOT Semi tanker truck inspector/technician (aluminum and steel) and TIG welder. Remove aluminum build up from a die grinder by quickly cooling the tip in water and then grind a piece of scrap steel. Apparently putting a bit of lubricant on the tip before grinding will help to prevent build up as well .
upload_2020-4-13_9-47-49.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-13_9-38-50.png
    upload_2020-4-13_9-38-50.png
    287.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited: