1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Stereo Install.

Discussion in '"Stock" Alpine' started by Mike O'D, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Mike O'D

Mike O'D Gold Level Sponsor

Spent some time over the holidays installing a stereo in the Alpine. Metal box with 3 D printed hinged cover plate. The cover has 2 small magnets to keep it closed. Sprayed everything with crinkle paint and then glued a fender script (had broken off pins but otherwise in good shape) to the cover. Speakers were sunk into the area behind the kick panels so the covers are almost flush.

Mike

Attached Files:

2. phyrman

phyrman SAOCA Secretary Diamond Level Sponsor

Looks good!!

3. Jimjordan2

Jimjordan2 Gold Level Sponsor

That looks outstanding. Looks like it belongs there. So, when's the kit for the 3D box coming out?

phyrman likes this.
  4. puff4

puff4 Gold Level Sponsor

Very tidy. Nice touch with the logo'd cover.

5. DanR

DanR Diamond Level Sponsor

Mike, I'm proud of your brilliant master piece. Great idea,

6. mikephillips

mikephillips Donation Time

Good job. One thing I will note though for those who are still positive ground cars. If you use a negative ground radio you have to be careful about the body grounding since they don't match. Years ago I used a negative ground in a positive ground car, made the case from wood, insulated the antenna from body contact and ran a ground to the battery. Otherwise wouldn't work due to the mix of polarities. You can find positive ground radios, this is just a "be aware" for someone who might use a secondhand one from a junkyard or such.

7. Mike O'D

Thanks guys. Sometimes I like to listen to the car, but sometimes it's nice to have tunes! I put in a new wiring harness with negative ground during the resto, but good to mention for others that are running "original".

8. Mike O'D

Jim - maybe when (if) I retire some day!

9. Jimjordan2

Jimjordan2 Gold Level Sponsor

Make enough of them, and you can retire. Good Luck.

10. Mike O'D

Like most things of that nature - I would probably lose money on every one I made!

11. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane Gold Level Sponsor

Sounds like a tax write off then. ;)

12. puff4

puff4 Gold Level Sponsor

Yeah, but you can make it up in volume. ;) :D

ernestovumbles likes this.