• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering Wheel removal

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Hi All ... I've been trying to get my stock steering wheel off with no success ... I've included a pic. .. is this a adjustable height column? .... any help would be appreciated as I read the mannie and still can't seem to get it off.

Thanks ... David

Sorry .. here's the right picture ...

Attachments

• steering wheel.jpg
    steering wheel.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
David,

Unscrew (remove) the center plastic piece (column adjuster). Underneath there is a nut on the threaded shaft. Remove that and the wheel should pull off the splined shaft.

Mike

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
David,

Unscrew (remove) the center plastic piece (column adjuster). Underneath there is a nut on the threaded shaft. Remove that and the wheel should pull off the splined shaft.

Mike

Hi Mike ... posted the wrong pic .. is this an adjustable column . ... got everything off but the wheel won't slip off and there's no way to use a puller that I have.

.... David

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
Put a piece of wood (Short 2 x 2 will do) on the center shaft and hit it with a hammer. Down goes the shaft and the wheel is free. But now you have to retrieve the shaft.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Put a piece of wood (Short 2 x 2 will do) on the center shaft and hit it with a hammer. Down goes the shaft and the wheel is free. But now you have to retrieve the shaft.

Thanks Thor ... Done every little thing I can think of .... some heat .. maybe!
Not to concerned 'bout the orig. wheel.. replacing it wit' another. .... Is this An Adjustable Column? ... If it is ? .......... must be stuck ...
.............David

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Yes....it is an adjustable steering column. Having removed more than a few of them over the years here's what works for me. Get some Liquid Wrench, WD-40, Kroil or similar penetrating oil and squirt a couple of drops onto the splined shaft close to the hub that's on that shaft. Let the penetrating oil soak it's way down the splines over night. The other advice given in another reply to this question regarding using an appropriate piece of wood to knock the locking shaft down into the center of the steering shaft works too. If you use a harder wood and not soft pine or similar, it will work easier.

At the bottom of the center shaft is an odd shaped round metal piece, tapered on one end. This is what locks the sliding splined shaft in place when the center of the steering wheel is turned to lock the steering wheel in place. This "lock" is where your sliding splined shaft is stuck. Sometimes a sharp hit to the center of the will free it ( with the hard wood piece previously mentioned). Do not use a hammer on the end of the shaft. It will mushroom the end of the shaft so that when the steering wheel comes loose, you can't get it over the end of the shaft ( ask me how I know this).

Suggestion: Take off the column covers top and bottom. You will be able to see the splines on the shaft. Put some penetrating oil or light grease on the splines BEFORE you do the other steps. This will aid in freeing the wheel from the shaft after you break loose the locking mechanism when the wheel slides to the bottom of the splines. You could also put some penetrating oil down the center of the steering shaft where the smaller threaded shaft sticks up past the end of the hollow steering shaft. The locking mechanism is at the bottom of that hole and is connected to the smaller threaded shaft. If in the process that small threaded shaft drops down into the hollow steering shaft, which it likely will, push the steering hub all the way down to where it stops and the small threaded shaft will be close to the open end of the steering shaft. I have used a magnetic tool that fit into the opening to get the shaft back up to where I could grab it. When I didn't have the magnetic tool handy, I used an ice pick to snag the threads and work the shaft up to where I could grab it. If all this doesn't dislodge the hub for you, just soak it with penetrating oil once a day until it breaks loose. Have waited as long as a week for it to work but it has always worked. I hope this works out for you.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Just one small addition to what others have said: I always just thread a nut on to the center shaft and, being sure that none of the threads extend past the nut, hit the nut with a hammer. That has always freed up the adjustable function for me before. Plus, it keeps the threaded shaft from disappearing inside the column. Once the column is adjustable again, I thread the large nut back on, push the steering column all the way in, and then yank it back quickly. That has always worked for me when removing steering wheels in the past.

As I type this, one other thought occurs to me. When adjusting the steering wheel I have always noticed that the locking nut (the bakelite cover) often stops and feels open about halfway around. I always have to turn past what feels like the first stoping point in order to make the column adjust. So, it might be worth first making sure the adjusting screw is fully open before trying to tap the shaft in.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks "masher" and "89" ... So I should drive that center shaft down .. gently with a brass drift or wood to loosen the adjusting column? ... I have put some tension on the wheel/spline with some lube as to break the tension on the tapered spline .... maybe overnight with the tension might break it loose? ...

....David

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Hi all! .... Got it free this morning ... the wheel is in poor shape as many are .. now I'll have to find a good stock replacement as this one I believe is beyond repair and I'd kinda like to keep the adjustable function.

Thanks again for the helpful ideas..... David

Attachments

• 67 steering wheel 002.jpg
    67 steering wheel 002.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 58