• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering wheel nut

T

turbinepete

Hi guys,

I am just about done with my restoration. After 11 years, I am just a couple of steps from trying out this Alpine. Never even rode in one ever. Anyways, I have a series 2 with a series 3 (I think) telescoping steering column and I am having the hardest time finding the right nut that locks the steering wheel in place. It has very fine thread which seems finer than any aviation stuff I can find. I would sure appreciate it if someone could tell me where I can find this.

Thanks

Pete

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm not sure about the nut , but to stick with it for 11 years congratulations and go for a drive ASAP

Tom J

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
On the telescoping wheel, there is a nut to hold the wheel on, and then there is the center cap piece which threads onto the small threaded rod sticking out from the column.
Either way I'm sure Paul got you squared away.
Good luck and congradulations on your ride!

T

turbinepete

You know, after all these years, I was sure that I would start liking the model less and less and maybe eventually get tired of the car. (Gee, didn`t I have girlfriends like that?...) But the only reason it took so long was lack of spare time. As D Day (inspection) is getting closer, I`m finding my Alpine nicer and nicer. Nice curves on those beauties, aren't they?

Anyways, I got the windshield wipers going last night, got the alternator with internal regulator going (to replace the generator) last week and with the help of this great forum, I will have the steering wheel put back securely in its place. (I had to get the S2 dash flasher indicators working with the S3 steering wheel and flasher switch... had to hide some transistors to adapt).

The engine idles rough, I will have to adjust the carbs ( I will probably be reading for more hints here), it tends to sound a little bit like a VW Beetle...

My only possible regret is going with the 13 inch Minilites instead of the 14. Reading the forum again, I'm a little worried about tire availability in the future, having spent all that cash on rims...

Other than that, I am following Jose's advice and sticking with my overhauled Rootes engine. But if I find a 1974 Mustang 2 and a clean and straight Alpine to start out with, I just might have to make room in my garage. Judging by the time it took me to do the first one, this should bring me right to my retirement. Did I mention a clean and straight Sunbeam to start out with?

Pete

T

turbinepete

Gee whiz...

I guess one of the guys at work was expecting something else...

Would you resend and put my name with maybe the word Personal on the enveloppe?

Sorry about that.

Thanks.

Pete