• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering wheel bushing

snamelc

Donation Time
Some months ago, I asked for ideas for replacing the worn out felt bushing underneath the steering wheel on my Series II. The response was very helpful, the concensus being to make a bushing from delrin. Not having an easy access to a delrin supply, I made one out of high density polyethylene which I had in my shop. I chucked up a 1/2" thick piece in my wood lathe and turned an OD of about 1.2". I left a 1/8" thick flange so I could get the bushing back out if needed. This left 3/8" to be inserted into the bushing housing and the full 1/2" length bore. I then drilled a 3/4" hole for the steering shaft. I dug the old felt bushing out with a nail sharpened and curved for the purpose. After several tweaks of the outside diameter, the bushing was pressed in with just enough force to hold it in place. No more rattling steering wheel! I don't think the shortness of the replacement bushing will be a problem since it is much stronger than the felt one it replaces.

I made couple of other changes along the way. I replaced the three set screws that hold the horn ring in place with socket set screws. The slotted ones were chewed up and one was missing one ear. I re-tapped the holes to insure easy replacement. I also shimmed the steering column shell clamps so that the wheel is centered over it.

Bill