• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering drop arm removal

Paul Domoney

Silver Level Sponsor
Does anyone have a picture of the special tool RG.198 for removal of the steering drop arm?
The drop arm on my 1963 series 111 Alpine has been incorrectly assembled as is 90 degrees out. I can turn right but turning left is a bit of a problem!! I am assuming that an ordinary puller will not do the job. There are no pictures of special tools in the parts manual that I have.
As I live in Zimbabwe I cannot nip down to the local Alpine club a and borrow a tool but I can have one made if only I can see a photo or a drawing. Please e-mail to domoney@zol.co.zw
Have just joined the forum so am finding my way around. Seems a great site. Many thanks in anticipation. Paul Domoney

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
May sound a bit crude but if steering assy is still mounted to the car you can try alternative method as follows:

Take a long straight 1 x 1" aluminium bar and place it on top on the steering arm. Take the biggest hammer you can find and give a heavy slap (on top of the bar) . Usually the steering arm instantly comes loose without any damage . In most cases it will work better because difficult to locate any pullers.

Best regards

Bernd

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Welcome to our happy group

Paul,

Sincere part-Nice to have on board:)

Joking part-Or you can wait til NASCAR comes to Zimbabwe. :rolleyes:

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I typically remove the relay lever from the box with a ball joint fork while it's still on the car. 2-3 wacks with a 4lb hammer and it usually gives it up. Be sure to pry the nut lock outwards before loosening (not removing) the nut. This stuff is pretty sturdy so don't let it intimidate you.

Mark ..... volvoguys

Paul Domoney

Silver Level Sponsor
Many thanks for all advice. I had to apply heat and getting a good swing from under tha car proved difficult, having no pit, but now it is out and have adjusted steering. Can turn left and right now. What a relief.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Many thanks for all advice. I had to apply heat and getting a good swing from under tha car proved difficult, having no pit, but now it is out and have adjusted steering. Can turn left and right now. What a relief.

I thought there was a specific notch so you could not put these on wrong?

Paul Domoney

Silver Level Sponsor
There are four notches so it is possible to be 90 degrees out. You have to centralise the the drop arm in the steering box.