• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering Cross Tube bushings

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
Posted the following but was able to dig deeper into prior posts for possible solutions. Wish me luck. "I need to replace the cross tube bushings on my ‘mostly’ SI but just cannot get to the old ones. Just no room to move around in there. Spent some time freeing up the steering box in the hope of gaining some movement and access but am having the same problem removing the drop arm from the rocker shaft. Any suggestions on technique / replacement parts?"

Last edited:

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
I need to replace the cross tube bushings on my ‘mostly’ SI but just cannot get to the old ones. Just no room to move around in there. Spent some time freeing up the steering box in the hope of gaining some movement and access but am having the same problem removing the drop arm from the rocker shaft. Any suggestions on technique / replacement parts?

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
It can be done without removing the pitman arm ... Turn the wheel to it's extreme ..you'll need a C-clamp and maybe alittle penetrating oil. I'll try and post some pic.s but in the meantime I'm sure others will chime in as I had to ask the same question here awhile back and got the help I needed ...

..... David

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks David for the info and the pics: I will try the C-clamp method, then, if necessary, the puller from Harbor Freight. Got this car as a gift from someone that I thought liked me. Having second thoughts about that now. lol.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Find a socket that will fit on top .. clears the flat washer on top of the crosstube but sits on the lip of the crosstube ... loosen the nut but leave the nut on the bottom to protect the threads ... I had to apply the oil and some heat as mine were totally frozen in the bush sleeve .. The proper size C-lamp is necessary to clear those areas and it took same time and patience as well as perseverance ... I invented several new cuss words in the process. I'm still looking for the photos but with the 10's of thousands I have it might take some time. I believe if you search the forum they might show what helped me. Bulldurham or Mamoose were the guys who helped me with photo's as well if memory serves me and DanR was also "very helpful".

..... David

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
Appreciate it. Found 3 photos on the forum that provide a good picture of what needs to be done.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Good .... I found the pic.s of installation of the bushings ... still looking for the removal one's .... I put poly in the crosstube .... those are also fun to get in! .... the rubber I believe are easier but with a less solid feel in my opinion.

.... David

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
That looks like a good alternative. However, is it truly an Alpine experience if it avoids the pain and struggle? Any idea on their response/shipping time? I am in So Cal.
I have been experiencing Alpines and Tigers since 1970 but I get where you are coming from!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
There is a great little tool I found at Harbor Freight that makes the removal of the crosslinks an easier process.

Tried to upload a pic but can't for some very odd reason....Will try again

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I do not particularly like the way he used the tool, the forks should be farther in the joint, and I prefer to keep the nut in place (loosely) so it will not fly off!

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks everyone. I already had the SS bushings and got the HF puller today. Will try again this weekend.

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
Weekend Report: Used the Harbor Freight puller and both cross tube bushings popped right off. The replacement took a bit longer because the sleeves needed to be removed. Used a hacksaw for that. Lubed up the new bushings and pressed them into the cross tube ends using the "wood blocks in a vice" method. Both went in smoothly.

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Bear in mind that the pin is supposed to rotate in the bush, not the bush in the arm. There was a production change in the Superpro bushes after I requested they knurle the id of the bushes to retain the lubricant more successfully. Previously the plain bushes would begin to drag and prevent the steering from self centering after a few hundred miles. Not sure which brand Rick is stocking?