• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering Box Joy

V_Mad

Donation Time
I recently replaced my steering box as my old one often seemed stiff in operation, and what a difference it has made. The car seems so much more responsive now, I was surprised how much better it is. I think it is important that the worm drive is in perfect condition, as the my old one had some pits in it, and I think this badly affected the feel of the steering.

I wonder what is the experience of other owners, do you feel that your steering could be improved? Is this a common fault?

gordonra

Donation Time
I wonder what is the experience of other owners, do you feel that your steering could be improved? Is this a common fault?

I replaced the front stabilizer bushings and it made a world of difference to the cornering and made the steering seem much more responsive. This change alone made a remarkable improvement to the handling of the car.

Rich

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tie rod ends, crossbar bushings, pits on the steering box worm & races, dry relay arm bushing.....and so on. As I have said over and over again, once you get these cars repaired correctly and everything is right on them, they drive like a dream.
(I smile when some owner finally understands what I've been saying)

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Chris,
Did you send your box out for a rebuild or purchase an aftermarket box? If you had it rebuilt, can you let me know who the vendor was?

Thanks,
Jim

V_Mad

Donation Time
Jim, I bought a 'good' used one on ebay, and I was lucky, it really was good.

I think the worm drive is the most important bit as most other stuff in the steering system can be easily replaced (I assume), but the worm gear is attached to the column, and looks unreplaceable (I doubt if you can even get the worm gear anyway).

So as I had been looking for a good replacement for months, I bought two that came up in one week!. The spare I now have also has a good worm gear but just needs reassembling (I have a set of new steel balls which I will fit). Sorry Jeb, but its probably too heavy to ship to USA? I could sell within UK if they send me a PM.

The MOT tester passed my car but said their is a very small play in the idler assembly, and I happen to have a spare one of those (dont know if its good or not). Whats inside the idler, is it adjustable for play?

mikephillips

Donation Time
I believe the idler is just a shaft in a pair of bushings. You might try greasing it and see if it takes up the play.

JonPiz

Donation Time
Jim, I bought a 'good' used one on ebay, and I was lucky, it really was good.

I think the worm drive is the most important bit as most other stuff in the steering system can be easily replaced (I assume), but the worm gear is attached to the column, and looks unreplaceable (I doubt if you can even get the worm gear anyway).

So as I had been looking for a good replacement for months, I bought two that came up in one week!. The spare I now have also has a good worm gear but just needs reassembling (I have a set of new steel balls which I will fit). Sorry Jeb, but its probably too heavy to ship to USA? I could sell within UK if they send me a PM.
The MOT tester passed my car but said their is a very small play in the idler assembly, and I happen to have a spare one of those (dont know if its good or not). Whats inside the idler, is it adjustable for play?

Look at your PM's please