• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stay safe!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have often remarked that there is a reason the saying “may you live in interesting times” is a curse and these are certainly interesting times we are living in. With luck, we will never know if our leaders are taking appropriate cautions or overreacting, but it certainly sounds like a lot of us may get sick in the coming weeks.

Many of us in this club are, like me, senior citizens (I still bristle every time I hear someone from the CDC refer to anyone over 60 as “elderly”!) and I know a few of us have other health issues to be concerned about. To all in the SAOCA and all near and dear to you, I just want to say that I hope you and yours stay healthy and safe, and if the virus does find its way to your door, I hope you are among the majority who have nothing worse than a bad cold.

Personally, I have decided that this is a great opportunity for a long, top down drive in my SV. I just won’t be making any stops along the way. :)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Take care Jim..

It's good your govt finally got on board and started to take this for what it is.. Sadly most countries have waited to long and there will be a price to pay... Worse given they saw what happened where it originated and didnt act sooner to deal with it.

Hopefully all our Sunbeam friends will stay safe... Perfect time to go get all those sunbeam projects sorted.. You're forced to be in the garage now ;-)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Similarly, I’m doing jobs on the house and cars that have long waited for “free time” of which I had so little, but now have so much. I thank the Lord that my wife and I retired this past summer - I can’t even imagine the difficulty in teaching in this environment.

We are also going on hikes in our woods, drives in the convertibles, gardening and other solo outdoor pursuits. It’s a time to enjoy the simple things.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Thanks for starting this Jim.

You know, this is a different world from what we grew up in. I graduated high school in 1965, and we Baby Boomers literally had the world handed to us. Well, except for the Nam. The technology grew so rapidly that most of us couldn't even comprehend the changes that have taken place. In 1964 my girlfriends dad came home from Japan with a Texas Instrument 4 function calculator that was amazing. I think he paid $150.00 for it. Then the banks gave them away free. And now? Star Trek.

Our needs were constantly met by anything we wanted or desired. The idea of going into a store and not being able to buy a roll of toilet paper would have been unheard of, impossible, any other word you would like to add. But in these 50+ years of work and struggle, most of our age have managed to put just enough aside to continue on with not too much affect. What's another day staying home?

But the young ones, the young families out of work, and struggling with bills. Living from paycheck to paycheck doesn't matter how much you make? Well, we all did that. Like playing a game of Monopoly, living right on the edge. I wish them well.

While I understand the economy is shut down, or wounded pretty deeply, the thought of starting it back up too soon is a worry. This will end, the disease like any other of this type will be conquered or die of it's own. People will be anxious to go back to work, the economy will be anxious to go back to work, but please not too soon.

During this time of staying home, I'm doing some pretty deep repairs/restores. I'm obviously building a new engine, I was fortunate to have most of the parts to build one, but still is in the $2K range. The transmission/OD is working fine, but I don't like leaks. (I know, good luck with that).
I'm running a 3.89 rear end now, but the extra I got "looks" like it's better. Will take both of them to the shop and tweak them to standards. Then at the same time have new rear wheel bearings installed on my SV.
Oh, and brakes, time to think about stopping instead of just going.

Keep safe, keep Sunbeaming

Attachments

• 18113 Engine 19.jpg
    18113 Engine 19.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hey Dan, nice sentiments...

It is a very difficult time.. And people dont like the idea that things can get worse...but they can... So stay the course... Do our time... And then all the effort into the rebuild after...

Strange how in such a short time life can change so massively and so globally....

Oh...and most importantly.. Your new 1725 is looking great :);)

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
It’s good that you can use this time to your benefit. I went from semi-retired to back to working full time. So I, too am sheltering at home, and thanks to the technology you speak of, working from home. So I am not able to take advantage of the situation. My wife had worked from home for over 20 years, then here employer decided that everyone should work from the office, on site. Now, she’s working from home again.
Stay safe.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yesterday, traders ended the day paying almost $38 to get rid off a barrel of crude oil. With that in mind, think of all the other stuff that is possible.

Hang on, some really interesting stuff is on the way!

Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hopefully that interesting stuff is an economic rebound. Hope I can recover the losses in my retirement and gain some. Of course this is not to trivialize those that have lost much more.

65beam

Donation Time
The county I live in has had one case of the virus. The person works at a former uranium enrichment plant that is being decommissioned and demolished. This person made regular trips to Cleveland because that's where their family resides. Cleveland is a hot spot in Ohio.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I often think of the old curse: "May you live in interesting times." These are certainly interesting times!

mikephillips

Donation Time
I'm fortunate in that I'm still employed and can WFH, which I've been doing the last month or so. While the positive is sweats and a t shirt and no shoes during the day, I do miss being around a floor full of people. Mostly for the sound and foot traffic rather than actual interaction, but it does get boring round the house when going out is limited. Shoot, going to the Post Office and dropping some envelopes in the outside box is a 15min adventure right now...

Least so far worst case predictions haven't come true and we're not all talking about who isn't with us as a club or individually. So better safe than sorry when it comes to following the current rules.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm fortunate in that I'm still employed and can WFH, which I've been doing the last month or so. While the positive is sweats and a t shirt and no shoes during the day, I do miss being around a floor full of people. Mostly for the sound and foot traffic rather than actual interaction, but it does get boring round the house when going out is limited. Shoot, going to the Post Office and dropping some envelopes in the outside box is a 15min adventure right now...

Least so far worst case predictions haven't come true and we're not all talking about who isn't with us as a club or individually. So better safe than sorry when it comes to following the current rules.
Which reminds me, how can we tell when it is safe? I do not expect anything like a light in the sky.
Bill

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for starting this Jim.

You know, this is a different world from what we grew up in. I graduated high school in 1965, and we Baby Boomers literally had the world handed to us. Well, except for the Nam. The technology grew so rapidly that most of us couldn't even comprehend the changes that have taken place. In 1964 my girlfriends dad came home from Japan with a Texas Instrument 4 function calculator that was amazing. I think he paid $150.00 for it. Then the banks gave them away free. And now? Star Trek.

Our needs were constantly met by anything we wanted or desired. The idea of going into a store and not being able to buy a roll of toilet paper would have been unheard of, impossible, any other word you would like to add. But in these 50+ years of work and struggle, most of our age have managed to put just enough aside to continue on with not too much affect. What's another day staying home?

But the young ones, the young families out of work, and struggling with bills. Living from paycheck to paycheck doesn't matter how much you make? Well, we all did that. Like playing a game of Monopoly, living right on the edge. I wish them well.

While I understand the economy is shut down, or wounded pretty deeply, the thought of starting it back up too soon is a worry. This will end, the disease like any other of this type will be conquered or die of it's own. People will be anxious to go back to work, the economy will be anxious to go back to work, but please not too soon.

During this time of staying home, I'm doing some pretty deep repairs/restores. I'm obviously building a new engine, I was fortunate to have most of the parts to build one, but still is in the $2K range. The transmission/OD is working fine, but I don't like leaks. (I know, good luck with that).
I'm running a 3.89 rear end now, but the extra I got "looks" like it's better. Will take both of them to the shop and tweak them to standards. Then at the same time have new rear wheel bearings installed on my SV.
Oh, and brakes, time to think about stopping instead of just going.

Keep safe, keep Sunbeaming
Hi Bill, I and the wife are bunkered in Purcellville Va. I am using my time to work on my Alpine.
I enjoyed your commentary on the 60’s. I graduated hs in 67, took six months in a prep school to get my college boards up got them up and applied to usna and got accepted as an alternate for the following year, but the local draft board had other ideas! I beat the draft by doing a hitch in the Marines. 15 months playing in the mud in Nam. Did community college, then went to a small liberal arts college got a BS then on and got an MBA. They were interesting times all rite.
Now I am 71 with old age problems, arthritis mostly, so progress is slow. So far I have all new brakes, wheel bearings, interior, weather stripping, reset the windshield, and rebuilt the windows. Next is get the front end on stands and over haul the front suspension. I still have a lot of work to do. Pull the engine and trans go through the engine. Most of the parts I have, but I am waiting on some stuff from the U.K.
The latest thing is I got the rag top frame bead blasted, painted, and on the car. Now comes the fun adjusting the door glass to fit the top frame, and hopefully the hard top will fit. Stay safe

65beam

Donation Time
Hi Bill, I and the wife are bunkered in Purcellville Va. I am using my time to work on my Alpine.
I enjoyed your commentary on the 60’s. I graduated hs in 67, took six months in a prep school to get my college boards up got them up and applied to usna and got accepted as an alternate for the following year, but the local draft board had other ideas! I beat the draft by doing a hitch in the Marines. 15 months playing in the mud in Nam. Did community college, then went to a small liberal arts college got a BS then on and got an MBA. They were interesting times all rite.
Now I am 71 with old age problems, arthritis mostly, so progress is slow. So far I have all new brakes, wheel bearings, interior, weather stripping, reset the windshield, and rebuilt the windows. Next is get the front end on stands and over haul the front suspension. I still have a lot of work to do. Pull the engine and trans go through the engine. Most of the parts I have, but I am waiting on some stuff from the U.K.
The latest thing is I got the rag top frame bead blasted, painted, and on the car. Now comes the fun adjusting the door glass to fit the top frame, and hopefully the hard top will fit. Stay safe
Gordon,
Is this the only Beam you have now? FYI, Jean took six weeks off from work because she has to do procedures in ICU and CCU and is in close contact with patients. Guess who got Pneumonia last week after four weeks off and has been in the hospital since Sunday.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Gordon,
Is this the only Beam you have now? FYI, Jean took six weeks off from work because she has to do procedures in ICU and CCU and is in close contact with patients. Guess who got Pneumonia last week after four weeks off and has been in the hospital since Sunday.
Got to rebuild tiger

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Gordon,
I hope everything goes well. I had a heart valve problem a couple of years back with pneumonia on top of that took 5 months to feel pretty good again

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm getting ready to live dangerously driving around in a convertible at the beach.
Absolutely ridiculous they have the bike path closed and they have the sidewalk closed on the beach side so you have everybody piled up on the other side of the street defying them.
They have the meter maids or meter homo sapiens following you and saying don't park in front of the beach even if you're 15 ft away from somebody else,
Yet you can stop on the other side of the street where everybody's walking by and park in a parking place or even block a driveway with everybody crammed on that side of the street. Starting to think it would be nicer to die on my feet then live on my knees.
If I couldn't go to the Home Depot to buy the stupid stuff I need, I may have to bring back that Jack Nicholson The shining character, probably not very popular now ...

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I hope that this can be seen as good comedy...

Subject: Government Announcement
Due to the current financial situation caused by the Corona Virus and slowdown in the economy, the Government has decided to implement a scheme to put workers of 50 years of age and above on early, mandatory retirement, thus creating jobs and reducing unemployment.

This scheme will be known as RAPE (Retire Aged People Early).

Persons selected to be RAPED can apply to the Government to be considered for the SHAFT program (Special Help After Forced Termination).

Persons who have been RAPED and SHAFTED will be reviewed under the SCREW program (System Covering Retired-Early Workers).

A person may be RAPED once, SHAFTED twice and SCREWED as many times as the Government deems appropriate.

Persons who have been RAPED could get AIDS (Additional Income for Dependents & Spouse) or HERPES (Half Earnings for Retired Personnel Early Severance).

Obviously persons who have AIDS or HERPES will not be SHAFTED or SCREWED any further by the Government.

Persons who are not RAPED and are staying on will receive as much poop (Special High Intensity Training) as possible. The Government has always prided themselves on the amount of poop they give our citizens.

Sincerely,
The Committee for Economic Value of Individual Lives (E.V.I.L.)
PS - Due to Corona Virus, recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, The Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off.

Apparently forum programs edit and changed Sh_t to poop but sure y'all get it :)