• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Starter Ring gear problem

coolcat

Donation Time
I have a friend who had to replace the starter ring gear on his 260 Tiger.

He couldn't locate a 160 tooth gear, so his mechanic replaced it with a 162
tooth gear. He's tried 6 or 8 starters and can't find one that will work
with the new ring gear. Should he have used a 157 tooth gear as a substitute
for the unavailable 160 tooth gear? Any suggestions?? Thanks Ed

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
The 157 tooth is the correct ring gear for 260 ford. The starters are two type, there are ones for automatic and ones for 4 speed I think that if you used a 162 ring gear you need the starter for automatic application. One question I have if the stock 260 flywheel is used on early 260, then the 1965 and up flywheel will not fit the Tiger 260, so the 162 ring gear will not fit there may be other changes made to this car?:eek:

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Ring Gear

I bought a Ring Gear from Advance auto parts in Indy and it was a 157 tooth at the time we also replaced the starter with a gear driven one, my understanding is its the distance ring to starter and not the # of teeth ???
if I rember at the time the origional ring is some unobtainable #

Joel

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Joel, you are right the distance the starter drive gear travels out is what is important, and the other ring gears will not work on the stock 260 flywheel. The 260 flywheel is smaller diameter than the late 65 and up 289 flywheels.

bluoval

Donation Time
ring gear

Cool Unless the old ring gear is missing teeth you can remove it turn it over tack weld it in place and it will be o.k. to use. Just a tip, Earl blu oval

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Why would you need to tack it in place. I thought to replace the gear, all you had to do was heat it until it slides on then let it cool. Another thing I've heard is that the V8 usually stops at the same place when it's shut down, so that part of the ring gear takes the abuse. So you could simply rotate it as well.

bluoval

Donation Time
tack weld

Hi Mike The tack weld is just to keep things safe. As far as to the engine stoping at the same spot. Thats a new one ot me.. The ring gear I removed from the Tiger was chewes all the way around.. So I just fliped it over used the heat method, tack welded it in three spots did a slight grind of the welds and added a Power Master hi torque starter .. Earl blu oval

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Mike As far as to the engine stoping at the same spot. Thats a new one ot me.. Earl blu oval

I was told that by a guy a NAPA when I had the flywheel resurfaced on my 289 from my Mustang. The ring gear was chewed up all at one spot.

bluoval

Donation Time
a little more thought

Mike Gave more thought to the v8 resting in one spot and it just doesn't equate. Unless the v8 has some severe compression shortages in 7 of the 8 cyls. With compression being close maybe, just maybe you could have 8 areas likely for the v8 to come to rest and that would be random. The reason you would get a flywheel chewed up in one location would be the result of the starter not fully engaging, for what ever reason. Not the v8 stoping at the same location.. I'm no rocket scientist but some time I feel I am compared to some of the parts people that are out there now. Without the year, make, model ,and engine size to feed the computer they are lost. Most have never turned a wrench. outside of an oil change or replacing a batery. Don't even think of asking about identifying a part for replacement unless you have the above mentioned year, make, model ,and engine size. That is why I try to keep a log of the parts that I have used on the Tiger and the same for the Alpine V6 conv. I' m sure there are a few good parts counter people out there but they are geting hard to find. If I find one he is the one I wait for him or her.. Most of the Dealer parts manager has a good handle on things, but Dealer parts are realy costly.. Hope I'm not coming across as a know it all. I have a lot to learn..The people of this forum have taught me a lot and will continue to learn thanks to this forum..Just think ,I would be posting in the dark if Edidon had not invented the light bulb. Thanks Tom!! Earl bluoval

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
You're right that makes no sense. And chewed up may be too strong a word. It was just one area of the ring gear that had any real wear. Now this was on an engine that at the time had about 300K miles on it. But I wonder if it might have anything to do with the firing order on the old 289s?