• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Standard brake discs

socorob

Donation Time
I think I read on dales website that you have to split the caliper and put a spacer between the 2 halves to compensate for the thicker rotor. I was wondering about those rotors with outlaw calipers that bolt or are close to bolting right on to later series sunbeams. I think Jim e used the outlaw calipers and said it was a small mod to get them to fit.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for your reply Mike, that combination will definitely work a whole lot better. How do you find your pad life with the grooved rotors?

Regards, Robin.

I would have to find my records of when I replaced the rotors and pads. I don't recal off of the top of my head. As I recall though, I also went with better pads at the same time. But I don't think there was an appreciable difference in wear. The 'stang was my daily driver, putting about 75 miles a day on it, until I found it needed ball joints again. Then I hurt my right arm and had to have surgery that left me in a splint for 12 weeks. Couldn't drive it because it's a 4 speed, couldn't shift in the splint. And I couldn't work on it either.

66Tiger

Donation Time
For Dale's Vented Upgrade kit you DO have to SPLIT the calipers.

I don't believe in this day and age of lawsuits that Dale would offer something that could basically put him out of business if they were unsafe.

Also my calipers before the upgrade were in perfect working order, so I had no fears about spliting them. You have 2 halves with a seal in between, to seal in the brake fluid when it goes from side to side. I forget exactly but one side has a machined area in which the seal sits.

After careful inspection, Dale's spacers and my inner caliper surfaces were as true and clean as can be. Dale's seals were identical to the ones in my calipers.

Everything was cleaned and reassembled with the new bolts (provided in the kit) torqued down to exact specifications.

The brakes were also pumped a hundred times before first venturing out of the garage.

And that's about it for the calipers.

To be honest I have more worries about other things breaking/falling off my 44 year old Tiger...can you say "fulcrum pins"...you just never know about an old car.

Paul

64beam

Donation Time
Rob,

I give up.. i have asked you that many times without answer.. where did you hear you had to modify the calipers? I thought that the basic dales vented kit was a simple bolt on and go upgrade.. you keep saying you have concerns, I keep asking where you heard this or is this an assumeption.. no answer..

Pauls response to you seems to indicate they are a straight forward bolt on..

As for your car.. you added a 4bbl carb, elec igntion.. so perhaps you should consider upgrading the brakes anyway.. not my car not my call.. I was just trying to help you.. you were seemingly going to go down a harder path than need be, i was questioning where your concerns about what is a known quanity were coming from...

Tell us how you go with what you do and keep us posted with your progres.

Michael,

I thought you were aware of that particular kit from Dale's. As posted by other members, the standard caliper is used which entails the caliper to be disassembled and a spacer fitted to allow for the wider rotor. That is my reason for being wary of this modification. It is probably OK, it's just me being cautious.
As for my Tiger, yes it is putting out more horsepower and I have thought about a brake upgrade. I just don't think that I will get the benefit for the outlay (even though the Tiger brakes in standard form are underrated).

64beam

Donation Time
I think I read on dales website that you have to split the caliper and put a spacer between the 2 halves to compensate for the thicker rotor. I was wondering about those rotors with outlaw calipers that bolt or are close to bolting right on to later series sunbeams. I think Jim e used the outlaw calipers and said it was a small mod to get them to fit.

Hi Robbie,

I have also heard of some Volvo (B1800 four pot, I think) calipers that are very close to the Girling calipers. I'm not sure what rotors it uses though.

64beam

Donation Time
For Dale's Vented Upgrade kit you DO have to SPLIT the calipers.

I don't believe in this day and age of lawsuits that Dale would offer something that could basically put him out of business if they were unsafe.

Also my calipers before the upgrade were in perfect working order, so I had no fears about spliting them. You have 2 halves with a seal in between, to seal in the brake fluid when it goes from side to side. I forget exactly but one side has a machined area in which the seal sits.

After careful inspection, Dale's spacers and my inner caliper surfaces were as true and clean as can be. Dale's seals were identical to the ones in my calipers.

Everything was cleaned and reassembled with the new bolts (provided in the kit) torqued down to exact specifications.

The brakes were also pumped a hundred times before first venturing out of the garage.

And that's about it for the calipers.

To be honest I have more worries about other things breaking/falling off my 44 year old Tiger...can you say "fulcrum pins"...you just never know about an old car.

Paul

Thanks for clearing this up Paul. As I said previously, I was never bagging Dale's kits and I'm sure it works very well. I just don't feel comfortable with that setup on my Tiger. You bring up a good point regarding other points of failure... always something to think about.