• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stainless Steel Bumper (later models)

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I am looking to buy a stainless steel bumper in any condition, let me know whatcha got and pics please.
Thanks
belmateo

alpine_64

Donation Time
All the bumpers should be the same, just brackets ( front and back) and overriders (sI-3 and IV-V) change.

If you are looking for the Vietnamese made harrington staimless repro bumpers the factory overriders do not fit them apparently

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
All the bumpers should be the same, just brackets ( front and back) and overriders (sI-3 and IV-V) change.

If you are looking for the Vietnamese made harrington staimless repro bumpers the factory overriders do not fit them apparently

Yes I am looking for a Harrington bumper in any condition, thanks for the info.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Those SS bumpers are junk! They are made out of very, very thin sheetmetal. So thin, you can twist them with your hand.
Jan

65beam

Donation Time
You can really believe the post you received about the "stainless steel bumpers" They are near absolute worthlessness...
Dan,
FYI, there are a couple cars in the Dayton area that have them installed. The shop that installed them tweaked them and they look and fit really good. Current production appears to be better made.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Freindly reminder guys, I am looking to BUY a BUMPER, appreciate all the opinions. Really not interested about how you feel towards them. If you have one you want to sell. PM me or post, otherwise let's do something more productive.
THANK YOU

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello,

Anyone obtained the stainless bumpers from Vietnam recently? https://www.ebay.com/itm/3949397933...uid=rulkijstqw2&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The last quote I got a couple years ago for chrome work on bumpers was around $2000 for both bumpers and the over riders not including any significant "repairs" to the bumpers! This makes the replacements tempting, but I have read conflicting reports on quality. Posters above in 2019 seem to imply the production quality has gone up. I want as close to original look, but not necessarily worried about concours. Be interested in any advice.
Thank you
Rick

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've gotten feedback from guys who went for the Viet Nam bumpers. One or two guys felt they were okay, but the majority felt they weren't a good fit, or the holes didn't match up. Nearly everyone said they were flimsy.

I saw a pair for myself on an Alpine at a show last year. They looked respectable from a distance but up close they are very thin. I was able to easily flex a bumper end up and down a full inch — by hand — and coulda gotten more! No thanks.

I'd rather find a pair of dull originals and have a hand at shining them up with a few methods suggested on the net. Who woulda thought Coke and aluminum foil?

Some day when I have nothing better to do, I'm actually going to try it.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello,

Anyone obtained the stainless bumpers from Vietnam recently? https://www.ebay.com/itm/3949397933...uid=rulkijstqw2&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The last quote I got a couple years ago for chrome work on bumpers was around $2000 for both bumpers and the over riders not including any significant "repairs" to the bumpers! This makes the replacements tempting, but I have read conflicting reports on quality. Posters above in 2019 seem to imply the production quality has gone up. I want as close to original look, but not necessarily worried about concours. Be interested in any advice.
Thank you
Rick
I have ended up buying two sets from them and have no issues. Great communication and fast shipping, excellent packaging. They are thinner, hence lighter than the factory bumpers and will shine forever without rusting out. Have not checked on the pricing recently, but from what I remember they were not that expensive. If you do go with them get the rubber for the over riders from Sunbeam Specialties, the ones they provide and not thick enough. Other than that, you can't beat em.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I bought the VN bumpers several years ago , straight from the factory, under $ 900.00 including shipping. They are definitely thinner and will
pick up any difference in mount to floor measurement, looking a bit twisted. I also think the contour is different from original,giving the over riders
a downward facing appearance. Given all that, getting them fitted well , w/ good mounting brackets overcome the negative aspects for me.
I still see them occasionally in the $ 1200.00 range, out of Atlanta L think. It is also true what Belmateo says about the rubber strips to mount the guards.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I bought the stainless steel ones that cames from VN back in 2008-2009 for my Blue Boy because the local chrome shop seemed pricey.

Not really what I like and would most likely never buy them again unless they were abit srtronger.

I have had stock ones rechromed by the outfit in East Tennessee and one in Dallas, Georgia both were very reasonable $750- $900 for a pair. Quality was also good. Will most likely use either them again.

Last edited:

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have had stock ones rechromed by the outfit in East Tennessee and one in Dallas, Georgia both were very reasonable $750- $900 for a pair.
How many years ago was that? I had two original bumpers re-chromed in 2021 in Cincinnati and they were $1,000 each.
Jan

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I like the stainless ones. Yes, they are thinner/flimsier than the original ones, but lighter, which is good. Yes they scratch easier than chrome, but easy to buff out. My car was fairly tweaked up, so it took some effort to get them mounted properly. Probably would have been about the same with originals in my case. And yes, Dan got some super deal for re-chroming. Corners cut?

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have done both ways. rechroming was good but expensive today. I put the SS bumpers on the second conversion i did. They look really nice and fit well, but will scratch pretty easily. They seem to be strong enough, so quality must have improved. I also put them on a tr4 i restored and they have held up well.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Quote: Dan got some super deal for re-chroming. Corners cut? Unquote.

No corners were cut! Done professionally! Very satisfied with them both.