• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Spotweld cutters

skywords

Donation Time
Here is a way of making your own spot weld cutters from ordinary 1/4" drill bits. Simply grind them as shown in the picture. It is alot like a normal sharpining procedure except you use the corner of the grinding wheel. Rotate the bit clockwise as you put the edge on it. Make sure the tit in the middle is slightly longer than the outer edges. It will cut like a small hole saw. You will have to pilot drill the middle of the spot weld with a #40 bit only thru the panel that is being removed. With a little practice you can cut spot welds without removing any base metal from the good part of the car. After the spots have been cut with these a thin hand chisel or air hammer chisel will easily seperate the body panels. You can sharpen these over and over and save money. I know you all will like that. These bits are sold with this grind already on them but why pay for something so easy to make. These bits will also work for drilling larger holes in thin sheetmetal where a regular bit makes a triangular hole these will make a beautiful round hole (again works like a hole saw). Take it from me one who has worked structural repair on large comercial transport aircraft for 20 years.

Sorry for the poor drawing but I think you will get the idea.