• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Speedometer gear

Clark

Silver Level Sponsor
The gear in the transmission has been stripped on my 66 series V. I can rotate the rear wheels and feel a rubbing on the drive gear which is in good shape. Looking at all the diagrams I can't tell if this internal gear is part of the shaft or is separate from it. Repair procedure anyone? Can this be accessed without pulling the whole transmission?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The gear in the transmission has been stripped on my 66 series V. I can rotate the rear wheels and feel a rubbing on the drive gear which is in good shape. Looking at all the diagrams I can't tell if this internal gear is part of the shaft or is separate from it. Repair procedure anyone? Can this be accessed without pulling the whole transmission?
I think it can be removed fairly easily but absolute worst case you just remove the tail housing.

s2willdo

Donation Time
I replaced mine recently when I rebuilt my transmission. As I recall there are c-clips that hold the speedometer drive gear in place. You just slide it off the output shaft.

Rick sells the plastic driven gear but it doesn’t come with the metal ring that is between the plastic and the output shaft.

I had a machinist swap the metal piece from my old one.

I may have goofed up though because my Speedometer isn’t working. It’s one of two things. First it could be spinning on the shaft because he may not have epoxied it well enough on the metal ring or second my driven gear could be mismatched since I swapped transmissions from a later model into my S2. I haven’t tried to fix it yet because I’m thinking the entire transmission has to come out.

I’m interested in hearing how this turns out for you.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
You need to match the color of the drive gear on the output shaft.to the gear that is striped or broken. To do so you'll need to take out the driveshaft and then remove the tail shaft housing to access the gear.

alpine_64

Donation Time
You need to match the color of the drive gear on the output shaft.to the gear that is striped or broken. To do so you'll need to take out the driveshaft and then remove the tail shaft housing to access the gear.

In general i agree.... But that assumes the rear axle hasnt been chnaged.

Likely the car would have had a 4.22 originally ... But maybe someone has put the earlier 3.89 in.. So worth checking the actual diff ratio as the speedo would likely be the original drive gear... But rear end may not be... So might be a chance to correct any speedo error.