• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Speedometer Cable Question

thill35803

Platinum Level Sponsor
I’ve gotten my SV up and running but the Speedometer isn’t working. No needle movement and no odometer action. I’ve searched/read most of the relevant threads on the forum.

I fooled around with the cable at the transmission end and pushed it a little further into the sheath. I spun the cable with a drill motor in reverse and the speedometer moved. Once on the road, the speedometer stopped working after about 100 feet. My diagnosis is the cable isn’t seated far enough into the socket on the back of the speedometer.

So my question is, what limits the ability of the cable to back out of the socket?

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I would undo the cable and carefully remove the inner. Check it is okay all the way along and still has a sharp 'square' on the ends to locate with.

Tim R

alpine_64

Donation Time
Did the needle jump or flick?
Id remove the inner cable and check for kinks.. Check for any solidified lubricant amd wipe down and re lube.
If the head of the cable shows some rounding at the speedo end use some teflon tape to wrap the head to its a tighter fit in the drive.

thill35803

Platinum Level Sponsor
My wife was watching the speedo and I didn't ask if it was smooth or jumpy. Its a brand new 20 year old cable. I cleaned it and lubed it with grease before installation about 3 months ago.

Is there anything other than friction that keeps the inner cable in the socket that drives the speedo?

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
The ends of the round cable are hammered/pressed into a square. The hole is a matching square. Not friction.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
I think what you are asking is if the inner cable can slide it's way inside the outer cable to the point where it disengages from the squared socket on the transmission end. I pulled out an old speedo cable and you can see that there should be a plastic piece (green arrow in photo), bonded onto the speedometer end that won't let the inner cable slide in and out once secured to the back of the speedometer. Once in place, you should have a good inch or more of inner cable protruding out of the outer cable at the transmission end. So if the threaded collar is tightened down it shouldn't be popping out of the square socket there. Not sure how far down into the transmission connection that the squared socket starts, but you do need to rotate that collar a fair amount of turns to get the cable flange against the transmission. You should be able to know if the cable is "floppy" in the securing collar it is probably too loose.

Rick

IMG_20211010_155026798.jpg IMG_20211010_155121515.jpg IMG_20211010_155452715.jpg