• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Speedo Cable Oil Seal?

63alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey guys.

I just received the attached pic from Mike at British Speedo of my unit on his desk. He told me the root cause of my issue was oil/grease in the gauge that had come from the cable and not to re-install the speedo until I had solved the root cause. I have looked at the Parts Manual and the Workshop manual and I assume there is an oil ring around the speedo drive in the gearbox (Series 3, 4-speed, no overdrive). Can anyone point me to where I might find the correct part number and any pics or advice on removal and installation? Much appreciated.

Attachments

• speedo.jpg
    speedo.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
It seems odd that there is enough pressure inside your transmission to force oil uphill through several feet of speedometer cable and into the speedometer housing. Might be a transmission venting issue rather than a cable seal issue.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
There is a seal, and I think both of the key suppliers in the US stock it - it's shown as #46 below in Sunbeam Specialties catalog.

However... most often the cause of lubrication making its way into the speedo is because the cable has been lubricated too 'enthusiastically'... the cable should only have enough lube to *lightly* coat the wire-wound inner cable... any excess should be wiped away, since any excess will eventually wind its way up into the head.

1712930789535.pngh

63alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm not sure how I missed that?? Thanks. I do have the early Non-Syncro on 1st gear tranny so I'll get the equivalent.

There is a small oil leak from the gasket, and the amount of oil found in the gauge makes me think it wasn't over lubricated. I've owned the car for 20 years. Not driven it much in the last 10 but I have never lubricated the cable, ever. Thanks again.

63alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
I do plan to replace the speedo cable as well to remove all the oil/grease in there. It is caked.