• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

special tools

mightyohm

Donation Time
Has anyone seen a catalog of Rootes special tools (made by Churchill) that includes photos?
There's a list of tools in the workshop manual and the service bulletins but no pictures of the tools.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes there is one but as the Brits say it's "as rare as hens teeth". Fortunately I have one in my possession. Any specific tool picture you are looking for ?
Send me PM please...

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I have a couple of Churchill Service Tool catalogs, published in 1962 and 1967. The earlier one has photos, the later one drawings.

Limey

Donation Time
Hi Bernd & RootesRooter.

Is it a big catalogue? Any chance of scanning the Alpine tools and adding that to the Tech pages?

To be honest we can find all the tools we need as modern versions except for the front suspension spring compressor perhaps, but it would be an exercise in fine facts to have a record of the tools, (just for something to do ;-)

I have only 4 tools but I don't have a special tools list handy so if any of these are not Alpine please let me know.

I bet there are 'old hands' out there that have them all or most. Ian Spencer created some excellent tech sheets about the tool kit and radios with photos. Maybe the same can be done for the special tools?

Attachments

• Puller 2.JPG
    Puller 2.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 67
  • valve comp 3.JPG
    valve comp 3.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 60
  • clutch plate tool 1.JPG
    clutch plate tool 1.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Hub puller 2.JPG
    Hub puller 2.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Valve Comp 2.JPG
    Valve Comp 2.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 60
  • hub puller 1.JPG
    hub puller 1.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 79
  • clutch plate tool2.JPG
    clutch plate tool2.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Puller 1.JPG
    Puller 1.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Valve comp 1.JPG
    Valve comp 1.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 61

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oliver, you do have a very nice selection of original tools. The booklet I was talking about is this one (A4 Format , ca. 60 double printed pages with pictures):

IMG_20190508_222520.jpg

All tools you show above are actually Rootes ones, but can not really identify the purpose of RG52-8. Looks like an extension for the valve spring compressor. And here is the respective excerpt for your RG330 as an example:

IMG_20190508_222650.jpg

Let's discuss on the Spares Day how to potentially proceed from there ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20190508_222520.jpg
    IMG_20190508_222520.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Limey

Donation Time
Let's discuss on the Spares Day how to potentially proceed from there ;)[/QUOTE]

Hi Bernd - Sounds like a plan...

Limey

Donation Time
I winder if they offer a scanning service? Perhaps we can ask on Sunday

See you there

Oliver

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Interesting picture of Pullers. Recent posting of where a fellow member made the purchase of a puller for the rear hub removal looks very similar to these:

hub puller 1.JPG

Puller 1.JPG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163042468099?hash=item25f616a103
Dan Dale at dales restorations told me how to make a hub puller. Use a square of 1/2 inch steel plate 4 tube type lug nuts and 4 grade 8 bolts. Drill holes in the steel in a 4.25 inch circle Loosen the hub nut. Screw the tube nuts to the wheel studs insert the grade 8 bolts through the plate into the tube nuts. Torque the bolts evenly and in stages up to the lug nit torque of 48 F pounds. The hub should pop off if it is sticking give the center of the steel plate with a dead blow hammer.